Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a gap under fence?

Matthewsl
Just Starting Out

How to fix a gap under fence?

Hi, We have a back fence that has a gap underneath. Unfortunately the neighbour behind's land drops about 60-80cm below ours.  Our dirt is falling into her property.  We have tried to communicate with her but unfortunately she doesn't want to have a discussion.  Also the fence is crooked at one end due to them fixing it many years ago. 

We need to fix from our side but not sure how, we also don't want to put trees or plants, happy to butt up with grass.

Any suggestions please.

Thank you.

Lyn

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a gap under fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Lyn (@Matthewsl). It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about closing a fence gap.

An image of the area would really help paint the picture of the issue for our members. Once they have a better of what the gap looks like they'll be able to provide relevant advice. Let me know if you need a hand uploading pictures.

I suspect that pulling back the soil from the fence line and installing a plinth between posts, which is typically installed to prevent soil transfer under fences, would be the way to go.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell. I should if included phitis from the beginning (see attached). 

20240427_092926.jpg

20240427_092936.jpg

20240427_093003.jpg

20240427_093040.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Matthewsl,

Thank you for uploading those images.

The method of installing a plinth that my colleague @MitchellMc has described would be the best way to prevent the soil falling through the gap. 

You might also like to check out Bunnings range of garden edging, which is also an option and offers some more variety in terms of aesthetic.

Both the plinth and garden edging can be installed with pegs such as Jack 270 x 20 x 3mm Zinc Plated Garden Edging Peg or 400mm Plinth Peg Galvanised Steel hammered into the soil.

The post leaning over is likely only repairable from the other side of the fence as you do not have access to its attachment point. Unfortunately, you may have to reach out to your neighbour for access to their side in order to assess the post for a repair. If you were able to gain access and could provide photos, I would be happy to assist.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects