Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking iron water tank?

schoolhouse
Just Starting Out

How to fix a leaking iron water tank?

Hi there, wondering if it’s possible to stem a leak from an old iron water tank? The leak is small, around a few mm as far as I can tell and on the side of the tank low down. 
The tank is empty at the moment if that makes a difference.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: leaking water tank

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @schoolhouse. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

I'd recommend trying T-Rex 48mm x 1.5m Strong Waterproofing Tape as it is a butyl adhesive tape that sticks to wet surfaces and works underwater, making it ideal for stopping active leaks. It sounds like it would work and be a super simple solution. Alternatively, you might like to try Selleys 110g Knead It Aqua Epoxy Putty. Clean the area thoroughly and sand around the small hole with 80 grit sandpaper. You can then mix up a small amount of the putty and push some into the hole and smear the rest over the area.  

Please let us know how you go or if you have any questions.

Mitchell

leak.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a leaking iron water tank?

How did you go fixing the leak @schoolhouse?

I trust you are well on your way to getting it all sorted out. I'm sure our members would be interested in knowing what method you chose.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects