Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a retaining wall?

Nathan_13
Just Starting Out

How to fix a retaining wall?

image.jpg

image.jpg

We have a retaining wall that drops off behind our fence but the grass and dirt keeps disappearing into what feels like an endless pit. I have level and thought I filled it a little bit but then it started to disappear again. What should I do ? Order a huge amount of dirt to keep filling it ? Also those huge weeds are a mission to get rid off because the drop behind the fence is about a 3.5 metre drop 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a retaining wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Nathan_13. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling a retaining wall.

It sounds like the void leads to the next-door property, and the soil is migrating there over a period of time. It might be worth speaking with the neighbour and examining their side of the fence to see if the gap could be boarded up to prevent this soil from entering their property. On your side, you could dig down a little and insert some plastic garden edging to block the gap. Then you could backfill up against that.

The first thing to do is block the gap before filling the area; otherwise, the soil will continue moving to the lowest point, the neighbour's property.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects