Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix ledger board to double brick wall for external timber patio roof structure?

RBlue
Finding My Feet

How to fix ledger board to double brick wall for external timber patio roof structure?

Hi

I am hoping someone can assist. I am not 100% sure about how to fix two ledger boards to my double brick house for a patio roof structure.

The ledger boards are 190 x 45 MGP10 H3 structural pine, that will support 140 x 45 MGP10 H3 rafters @ 600mm centres (rafters are @ 600mm centres as the patio roof structure will support over 20 solar panels).

Questions:

1. What fixing type should I use to anchor the timber ledger boards to the brickwork?;

2. What spacing should I fix these anchors?

Image attached showing where the ledger will go (under eave against brickwork).

House.jpg

Appreciate any help or input.

Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix ledger board to double brick wall for external timber patio roof structure?

Hi @RBlue 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a patio roof.

In this particular situation, I recommend engaging the services of an engineer to draw up a plan for your patio roof with the provision that the solar panels will be anchored to the patio roof frame.

I also suggest checking with your local council to find out the rules and regulations regarding its construction.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to fix ledger board to double brick wall for external timber patio roof structure?

@EricL is on the money @RBlue This sort of project does require proper designing. Doesn't mean you can't DIY the build if it's within your skills range.
My understanding too is that any structure that creates and/or carries load and can be subjected to up-lift that is fixed to a house will require council approval too. Technically even a large shade-sail requires council approval & engineering sign-off if it's fixed to the house.

RBlue
Finding My Feet

Thanks for the feedback @EricL and @Adam_W I really appreciate it.

Being in NSW, the relevant overarching planning policy and code is the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008. My patio structure satisfies exempt development with this code including local the LEP and DCP. The only occasion it is mentioned that engineers certification is required is when the structure is fixed to the fascia. I would imagine this is the case because the attached patio structure has the potential to create enough uplift to cause the roof structure to separate or move from the rest of the house structure.

In my case however, the ledger plate would be attached to the underside of the eave and the roof structure and fixed to a double brick load bearing external wall. Principally it is the same structure as a 'lean to' which is typically exempt development also. Additionally, I am located in the lowest wind classification in Australia so the requirements are far less than in other parts Australia as well.

The roof sheeting will be kliplok 700 hi-strength so the solar panels will be fixed with profile roof clamps, and thus secured to the roof structure. This is common practice in the industry as I understand it -  so no issues there. The solar panels weigh very little in the scheme of things, maybe 13/14kg per m2.

I take your point though that its probably a good idea to run it past an engineer considering the dynamic loads, but was just hoping for something generic in terms of anchor type and fixing spacing...

No worries @RBlue It sounds like you've done the right research which is fabulous.
Just FYI... I've had an engineer looking at some roof work at my new place and it cost around $600 for a site visit, evaluation & written recommendations (no plans). So an investment yes, but potentially a very worthwhile one in the scheme of things.
Regarding the fittings to secure the board... I am a big fan of 'screw-bolts'. Especially in situations of masonry with mortar or when fixing close to the edge of a wall.
As they don't expand like a traditional sleeve-anchor (Dynabolt) they are massively less likley to crack the wall through the bricks or mortar.
Make sure you keep us up-to-date as the project progresses!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RBlue 

Just to add to @Adam_W's suggestion, I recommend having a look at the Ramset ChemSet 101 Injection Kit in combination with Chemset Anchor Stud and Ramset Multifit Sieve. It is a high performance polyester anchoring adhesive that does not preload stress on the substrate. The load on the anchors and wall only start to occur once the ledger has been put into place.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects