Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix my balcony?

vheutschi
Just Starting Out

How to fix my balcony?

Our balcony is in need of some TLC. Perhaps a change of grout, sealant, and the wood might need replacing or it needs sanding, painting, and an outdoor wood sealant as well. Any ideas on what products to use? Would be grateful for any help. Thank you. 

IMG_8968.jpgIMG_8969.jpgIMG_8970.jpgIMG_8971.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix my balcony

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vheutschi. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring your balcony.

How degraded is the grout around the drain? From the images, it appears like it might be crumbling. If it has deteriorated and it is not a case of it just needing a clean, I'd suggest you cut out any compromised grout with a QEP Carbide Grout Saw if it's a small section, or Multi-tool fitted with a grout removal blade for larger areas. You'll need to cut the grout out until you hit solid areas that aren't crumbling. You can then use an exterior grout to repair the removed sections. Once you've cleaned the rest of the tiles and grout, Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer can be used to seal the grout. 

It looks like you could save the timber rail, as it doesn't appear to have begun to rot. However, once you remove the paint, you could find areas that need repair and filling with Builder's Bog. Any rotted timber can be dug out, and the area can be treated with Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener before filling. For removing the paint, an electric sander will be very helpful and make short work of the job. I suggest starting off with 120-grit sandpaper to remove the bulk of the paint, and when you start seeing timber, increase the grit count to 180, then 240 to finish. Please note you'll need to tap those nails down with a hammer and punch, so they are slightly below the surface of the timber before you begin sanding, as they are somewhat proud at the moment. There appears to have been some filling done to the end of the timber so it meets the masonry wall. This can be repaired with Selleys 130g No More Gaps Exterior Gap Filler. When you're sanding the timber, if it's particularly damaged, please update us with new photos, and I trust our helpful members will be able to provide further assistance.

Once you resurface the timber, you can paint directly over it with Dulux Weathershield. It's a fantastic self-priming exterior paint guaranteed not to peel, flake or blister for as long as you live in your home.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects