Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix splitting jetty posts?

Student
Getting Established

How to fix splitting jetty posts?

I have two jetty posts that are splitting from the top because they weren't capped or a metal ring put around the top. My intention is to fill the splits then paint them .  Any suggestions on what i should use to fill the splits in view that there are subject to salt water. Sorry I don't have any photos

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix posts that are splitting

Hello @Student 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the jetty posts? This will allow our members to assess the damage on the post. We can then make recommendations on how to repair it.

If the cracks are too big and too deep it might need to be replaced as a repair would be impractical. 

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Student
Getting Established

Sorry i don't have pictures The posts are about 6 years old but the splits are 1 to 3 cm wide.  The posts should last for at least 20 years.  We just need to fill them so the water does get in them and rot the posts.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Student,

I'd recommend filling the cracks with Sika 150ml Black Sikaflex-291 Marine Adhesive Sealant - 150ml and then, once cured, overcoating the whole top of the post and about 10cm down from it with Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber. The Sika product will seal the cracks, and then the bitumen is additional protection to ensure water doesn't continue to seep into the top of the post.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects