Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix spray gun marks in Deck?

rvkiruba
Growing in Experience

How to fix spray gun marks in Deck?

Hi There,

I need your advice.

My deck had little bit of marks here and there. So i used Spray gun to clean them But sadly it made marks like in the attached picture. 

I tried to cover the damage using Cabot's Exterior Decking Oil (this is one I applied when the Deck was brand new)

But still the marks/damages are visible :unhappy:

Any advice to fix it and bring the deck neat and clean? 

Thanks a lot.

IMG_0664.jpg

regards,

Kiru

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: How to fix spray gun marks in Deck?

Hey Kiru,

Looks like you’ve got some gouge marks in the decking boards. You’ll have to sand them back smooth before reapplying the decking oil.

You’ll have to start with a heavier grit like this 40 Grit Sandpaper to even out the surface of the board, followed by a finer grit such as this 120 Grit Sandpaper to smooth it out. 

A random orbital sander would make this easier but it can be achieved by hand with a bit of elbow grease. 

Good luck!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rvkiruba 

Thank you for sharing your question about fixing the marks on your deck. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JacobZ95. I totally agree that your deck will need to be sanded back to timber in order to repair the damage. Doing a partial sanding will result in a patchy repair, you'll see the old decking oil next to the new decking oil and it will be very noticeable.

I therefore recommend sanding the entire deck. I suggest hiring an Orbital Floor Sander on your deck to remove all the oil on the surface. I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Deck strip, sand and oil by @DIY_Dan

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rvkiruba
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric for your input. 

regards,

Kiruba

rvkiruba
Growing in Experience

Thank you Zubrinich.

I will go with your approach. Bit of a hand work.

regards,

Kiruba

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects