Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow my own indoor grass?

Michie
Just Starting Out

How to grow my own indoor grass?

Hello there!

I live in an apartment so I haven't got a backyard for my dog to go potty. I have been buying grass from a company for my dog's business but it's getting expensive so I would like to grow my own for my dog to use. She (my dog) is 6 kgs so she's a small dog. Please if anyone is able to tell me what I need to get this going that would be awesome! I believe my first step wld be to get a tray with holes?? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to grow my own indoor grass

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Michie. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about growing indoor grass.

Do you have a balcony that receives plenty of light on which you could grow grass? I'm unaware of any grass types you could grow successfully indoors.

Even outdoors, I don't believe you'll be able to grow the grass fast enough to keep up with the rate it gets killed off. To grow a section of grass from seed could take several months before your dog can use it, whereas it might only last a few weeks before it begins to die off. Dog urine contains nitrogen compounds and is quite acidic, which is why it kills the grass so fast. 

Have you tried synthetic grass? I'm not talking about the old types that feel horrible to the touch but the newer improved premium varieties like Tuff Turf 1.8m x 35mm Pile Real Tuff. Alternatively, you could use Tuff Turf 40 x 40cm Synthetic Turf Grass Tiles. You'd then need to get a tray to go under the grass or place it out on the balcony. These grasses are fully synthetic, and you can clean them down regularly. There's even a deodoriser that elements any odours.

You should check out these synthetic grasses at your local store. I think you'll be surprised by how nice the premium varieties are.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects