Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to grow plants on a hot deck?

Christina3
Just Starting Out

How to grow plants on a hot deck?

I’ve always lived in a home with a big garden, now we are in an an apartment with a deck that gets sun almost all day. I want plants to make it look fresh and cool along the edge of the deck that has a perspex screen . So far I have managed to grow plants I took from my garden but it’s not the look I want. They can’t be too wide or high.

thank you

IMG_0713.jpegIMG_0712.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: growing plants on a hot deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Christina3. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about growing plants on a deck.

If you want to grow plants up against the glass/perspex, you'll need to look at very heat-tolerant varieties. The clear screen will amplify the sun's rays and burn many plants. I suggest considering succulents or cacti. You'll find a great variety to choose from with many interesting leaf shapes, some of which even flower. I'm a great fan of Mesembryanthemum as it has lovely flowers and can really tolerate a lot of heat. If they are planted in taller pots, they'll trail over the edges nicely.

Other options include Bougainvillea, cordylines, ornamental grasses, geraniums, daisies, petunias and gazanias

Do you happen to know if your body corporate would allow you to place some type of screen across the perspex to reduce the severity of the incoming sunlight? That might be an option if you were to incorporate it into your design.

Let me mention a couple of our gardening enthusiasts, @mich1972 and @LisasGarden, to see if they have any suggestions.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you create in this space. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects