Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang festoon lights on concrete retaining wall (Rental Property)

kachang90
Finding My Feet

How to hang festoon lights on concrete retaining wall (Rental Property)

I live on a rental property and the back of the property has a concrete retaining wall. Is there a way I can temporarily hang festoon lights? Thank you.

20211216_085959.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to hang festoon lights on concrete retaining wall (Rental Property)

Hi @kachang90,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I will ask our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL for his thoughts, but in the meantime please have a look at the excellent guide by @Adam_W How to install outdoor string lighting. In the article, Adam lists many different ways of installing lighting, including temporary options. Have a look and let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

We trust you'll get loads of inspiration and help from our wonderful members. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kachang90

Thank you for sharing your proposed project of temporarily hanging festoon lights along your concrete wall. Putting up festoon lights is a fantastic way of adding ambiance to any garden. Because we can't drill into the concrete fence, I suggest using Whites 3.15mm x 48m 3kg Galvanised Tie Wire. You'll need to use 200mm Combination Pliers to cut and shape the wire into the necessary hook to hold the festoon lights. If you wish to use a thicker diameter wire, please remember that it becomes more difficult to bend.

I've placed an image below of how the hook is supposed to look like. Where the hook needs to be bent will depend on the thickness of your cement fence. I will leave the length or drop at your discretion. What is important is that the end has to be bent in a triangular shape to prevent the festoon wire from hopping out of the hook. However, if you were planning on a different layout, please let us know so that we can make more suggestions.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your festoon lights hanging on your wall.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh thanks for that Eric. I shall get the wire and have a go at shaping it as per your image. Thanks heaps again. I'll update you on my progress :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects