Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang outdoor wall panels?

DIYImpressions
Having an Impact

How to hang outdoor wall panels?

I am planning to place Merbau wall panels in my back yard wall. Please advise how can i mount them. 

Product: Merbau Fence

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-1800-x-902mm-84-44mm-fence-panel-merbau-slats_p8500281?store=62...

Attaching picture of how I want it to be. Its a rendered wall on which I want to attach it. 

8406939B-62AC-464F-83E6-9AC1F010223C.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hanging outdoor wall panels

Hello @DIYImpressions

Thanks for sharing your project of hanging Merbau outdoor wall panels. If you're getting SpecRite 1800 x 902mm 84/44mm Fence Panel Merbau Slats for your wall, I suggest mounting them on 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine. This will provide a gap between the panel and the wall. Should the panel release any oil or tannins your wall will not get stained. 

I recommend using Zenith 10 - 8 x 75mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head External Timber Screws - 10 Pack in conjunction with Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 20 Pack. Determine the approximate position where you want the panels to be mounted on the wall. You can have the timber mount as wide as the Merbau panel, but I don't recommend cutting it any smaller than 600mm. Place the mounting timber at the back of the Merbau panel. There should be one at the top and one at the bottom. Measure the distance between the top, middle and bottom of the mounting timber.

Using the measurements you've just taken, mark the wall where you'll be drilling into. I propose using a level to make sure that the mounting points are square. Drill into the wall and drill pilot holes for the mounting timber. Put the universal anchor in the wall and secure the mounting timber to the wall using the galvanized screws. Place the Merbau panel in front of the mounting timber and centre to your desired position. Drill one screw into the panel to fix it into the mounting timber and use a level to square the panel before securing it with a second screw.

Place another two screws at the mounting timber at the bottom. Repeat the process for the next panel. I've placed an illustration below to give you an idea of how it can be mounted. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @EricL 

would the gap of 3.5cm be enough visible from sides? I am also concerned about my white pots which might get stained. What options do I have there to protect them? 

Hi @DIYImpressions

If you're worried that 3.5cm is too much of a gap, I suggest using Merbau decking panel, it's only 19mm thick and can be used outdoors. I recommend getting the one that's not pre-oiled to prevent staining your wall. I suggest painting the decking panel before you mount it on your wall. If you do use the Merbau decking panel please make sure to use a shorter screw such as the 60mm galvanized screw.

You have two options when it comes to your Merbau Fence panel. You can either use Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner to clean and remove the tannins and oil on the fence panel. However, if you do this you'll need to paint or stain the fence panel straight away.  Or you can let the fence panel naturally season for 6 to 12 weeks. Once all the tannins and oil have leached out you can then use your choice of oil and stain to seal the panel.

As for the white pots, I suggest relocating them to another area until the panels are ready. Once they've seasoned you can place the pots back in their original position. 

Eric

@EricL 

First thing, the depth of the wall panel i measured is 30mm where as the description states 44mm. Considering 30mm depth of the panel, 35mm of the treated pine and using 75mm timber screws means only 15mm of timber screw will be inside the wall. Is that enough ?

Secondly, when wall panel is placed on the mounted timber, will i be using same 75mm timber screws? If so, wont it hit the wall because total depth of mounted timber (35mm) and wall panel(30mm) is 65mm.

Also what if i place a plastic painter drop sheet between the wall and wall panel, and directly fix the wall panel to the wall using countersunk dynabolt? Once its naturally seasoned, i can stain to seal, unmount the timber and remove the plastic sheet and refix the wall panel.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-6-x-60mm-countersunk-dynabolt-plus-masonry-anchor_p2269773

Hello @DIYImpressions

My apologies if my installation description was confusing. 

Here are the steps to mount the Merbau panel.

• The 70 x 35 treated pine must first be attached to the wall using the 75mm screw. A hole must be drilled into your wall and a pilot hole drilled into the treated timber. Place the Universal anchor into the masonry wall and then position the treated timber in line with the holes you've drilled. 

• Once the treated pine has been mounted to the wall, you then screw the Merbau panel to the 70 x 35 treated pine using 60mm galvanized screws.

Using a plastic sheet to protect your wall is a good idea. It will save you from having to mount anything else on the wall. Just make sure that the plastic is secure enough and that the holes cut for mounting are as small as possible to prevent stains from going past the plastic. You now have two options on how to mount the Merbau panel, I'll leave the decision up to you.

Eric

Thanks @EricL 

Can you comment on use of countersunk dynabolt? Thinking of directly fixing the wall panel to the wall using a 60mm countersunk dynabolt with plastic sheets in between? Considering 30mm depth of the wall panel, is the remaining 30mm of the dynabolt deep enough in the wall?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-6-x-60mm-countersunk-dynabolt-plus-masonry-anchor_p2269773

Hi @DIYImpressions

I'm afraid that the Ramset 6 x 60mm Countersunk DynaBolt Plus Masonry Anchor will not penetrate deep enough and with Dynabolts you want to go as deep as possible to prevent surface cracking. If you wish to use Dynabolts, I suggest using Ramset 8 x 85mm Countersunk DynaBolt Plus Masonry Anchor. It will go deeper into your masonry wall and not crack the surface. 

A safer alternative is to use Ramset 6 x 75mm Galvanised AnkaScrew Masonry Anchor. These are ideal for close to anchor situations and will not crack the surface of the masonry.

Eric

@EricL 

i thought about anka screws but will i be able to flush/countersunk them and patch it with merbau wood-blend putty?

Hi @DIYImpressions

I'm afraid you can't countersink the Ankascrews, If you do countersink it into the timber the hole will be too big and too deep. You could paint the tops a dark brown colour to disguise them.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects