Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to infill above garage and windows?

Grav
Growing in Experience

How to infill above garage and windows?

IMG_6586.jpeg

Hello experts

looking for some options around the empty infill area above the garage door 

thinking of PVC cladding - horizontal orientation running through the length, need a second opinion also some suggestions around how to plan tools,  fabrication and installation of these panels in that empty area, currently has wooden infills which look very bland 

thanks team 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to infill above garage and windows?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Grav. It's a pleasure having you join us and we hope you find the site a handy resource for useful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas. 

Thank you for your question. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you when he's back online later today. In the meantime, let me also tag our ever-helpful members @Baggs@Dave-1 and @Super_D to see what suggestions they can offer.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Super_D
Becoming a Leader

What is the measurement of this area?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Grav 

A blank slate! :smile: I can see the above the garage door that you mention but not sure what you mean about the windows? Can you give us an extra photo by any chance?

I often go for a cruise around the neighbourhood and see what people have :surprised: hahah sounds a little stalkerish but there are so many differnt things to see. I didnt think Gabion walls were a thing until I started looking and they are everywhere!  I like the idea of a weatherboard look and think there is a product by handiplank that looks similar. Or you could go the route of tudor style? That could suit your front of your house? That way its only a facing deal modifcication and you get to keep what you have now. (Just white background and black timber outlines.)

Dave

Grav
Growing in Experience

Hello Super_D measurements coming up this afternoon when I get home 

Grav
Growing in Experience

Hello Dave

thanks for your reply. What an excellent forum to share ideas, as you can see I’m a novice when it comes to DIY but have taken matters in my own hands with our first home

yes, I have been going for walks and looking at other houses, unfortunately (fortunately for them) If not all but most of them already have brick infills or PVC cladding so unsure how I should go about DIY 

apologies, I have attached a photo of the window infills as stipulated in my original post

A Gabion wall panel would def look good I’ll have to investigate how they’re installed 

trying to visualise how Tudor type panels would look in these infills 

IMG_6930.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Grav 

Here are a few ideas of what I mean by tudor styling. Its just black painted trim really to "fake" the look

IMG_6930b.jpg

IMG_6930c.jpg

IMG_6930d.jpg

Above your garage you could do the same. For the trim maybe 

66 x 42mm 2.4m f7 h3 treated pine primed losp 2.4m 

or check out the various sizes for external trim

external mouldings 

Id suggest to use a drop saw to cut the angles :smile: and It is easy to do (I was nervous as the first time I tried to get it right) and then either liquid nail or tack it with bullet head nails depending on what material it is to the sheeting that is there. (You may be able to find teh studs behind that grey board if you are lucky)

As to Gabion walls :smile: Take a look at my profile/bookmarks lol You may find a few there lol

Dave

Super_D
Becoming a Leader

I see what you mean it is a big space...
I will give it some thought....

Baggs
Having an Impact

Hello,

I'd assume there would be a timber frame behind that panel.

If so it should just be as simple as using some fibre cement cladding to freshen it up. 

Would just have to locate the timbers then nail the cladding up into place.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Grav 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at James Hardie 4200 x 180 x 16mm Linea Weatherboard - 4200 x 180 x 16.  It adds a nice highlight to the garage and windows. I've done a quick photo manipulation of the area to give you an idea of what it might look like.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects