Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Colorbond fencing?

Mandla
Just Starting Out

How to install Colorbond fencing?

Hi Everyone

Undertaking a 1.8m colorbond fencing project and need some pointers on the following aspects

1. The Bunnings trim deck infill sheets are 1.79m length and 762mm depth. Fencing rails are 2.35m. f during installation of a single panel, I use 3 sheets with a single ridge overlap would my fence not come short since 762mm x 3 < 2.35m rail? I would have expected the sheets to be at least 800mm or more to allow for overlap and still fit in a 2.35m rail.

2. To save costs I am wanting to not use timber sleepers at all. Is there any down side to this? 
3. If I do use timber sleepers how do I achieve my height of 1.8? The standard infill sheet sizes of 1.49m + 200mm sleeper gives me 1.69m fence height! Does that mean I buy 1.79 sheets and cut them down to 1.6m?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install Colorbond fencing?

Hi @Mandla,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing your fence project come to life.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, but our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist as soon as possible. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install Colorbond fencing?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mandla. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Colorbond fencing.

I believe the rail transitions over the upright posts, so the additional length to that of your sheets could be explained there. 

You're correct in your observation. If the infill sheets are 1.79m in length and you're using three sheets per panel with a single ridge overlap, they might not perfectly match the 2.35m rail length. It's common to have some trimming or adjustments during installation. You might need to trim the sheets slightly to fit them within the rails, or you can explore different infill sheet options that better align with your rail length.

Omitting timber sleepers can save costs, but there are some downsides to consider. Sleepers help to stabilize and support the fence, especially in areas with uneven ground or soil movement. Without sleepers, the fence might be more prone to leaning or instability over time. If you're confident in the stability of your ground and the fence line, you may be able to proceed without sleepers, but it's a risk to be aware of.

If you decide to use timber sleepers to achieve the desired height of 1.8m, you have a few options. One option is to use infill sheets that are longer than the standard 1.49m, such as the 1.79m sheets you mentioned. Then you can cut them down to the desired height of 1.6m to fit with the 200mm sleeper, as you suggested. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects