Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Ekodeck castellated panels onto retaining wall?

Neil1984
Just Starting Out

How to install Ekodeck castellated panels onto retaining wall?

Good Morning Everyone,

I am just after some help with the installation of the new Ekodeck Castellated Panels. We are having a pool installed in the grass area in the photos attached and I would like to screen the area out. What would be the best way to approach this for it to cover the concrete retaining wall and fence also. The height fits within the height that the panels come in but attaching it to the wall would need some sort of frame in front of it? I know in the installation guide it says not to attach it to a concrete wall. I have reached out to Ekodeck without any luck. 

I was thinking about maybe creating a timber frame for the panels to be screwed onto but I was after some expert advise as to what is best and the best way to build something like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

image0 (2).jpegimage1 (2).jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install Ekodeck castellated panels onto retaining wall?

Hello @Neil1984 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about installing Ekodeck Castellated Panels on your fence.

I propose installing 75 x 38mm 4.8m Fence Rail H3 Treated Pine Wet Sawn on your side of the fence and anchoring the Ekodeck Panels to the rails. The possible drawback to this plan is that if your side of the fence is heavier, it's possible that weight of your panels will drag the fence your way creating a lean.  

Another way is to put 100 x 100mm 2.4m Fence Post Hardwood CCA into the soil in front of the concrete retaining wall. You then attach rails to them and install the Ekodeck panels as if they were the fence palings. This would be the most secure way of installing the panels without affecting your current fence and retaining wall.

Let me call on our experienced members @JacobZ95 and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to install Ekodeck castellated panels onto retaining wall?

Good Evening @Neil1984 

Looking at your photos I am wondering how the fence posts and the retaining wall posts are joined? :smile: Not necasary for my idea but interested all the same.

I like the second option @EricL has mentioned as I am always reluctant to attach anything to a fence for that "leaning" over reason. The one thing Id change is to put the posts in between the retaining wall posts as you will have less likelyhood of hitting concrete when digging the holes. 

Oh MAN! Just had a search for the "Ekodeck Castellated Panels" and WOW! Love them! They look really nice and will cover the retaining wall and fence nicely. I would run two rails or even three between the posts and then secure the panels to the rails. Thye really dont look heavy but im still cautious about old fences/retaining walls.

Would love to see some project pics as you install them. You have potentailly just solved what i want to do with my back fence :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects