Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Merbau fence panels on retaining walls?

manbir_hanspal
Finding My Feet

How to install Merbau fence panels on retaining walls?

20230618_163505.jpg

20230618_163355.jpg

20230618_163154.jpg

  

Hi, trying to install merbau fencing panels on top of retaining walls at the boundaries of my house. wondering how can I make them stable like do I need bolt in angles or bolt timber post on top of it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hi Team, I am trying to install Merbau Fence panels on my retain walls across my house.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @manbir_hanspal. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing Merbau panels.

Were you considering this SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel or this SpecRite 1800 x 600mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Garden Fence Panel and would you be installing the with the longest side horizontally? There is a possibility of installing the 600mm wide panels with fixings and brackets into the bricks as it is quite lightweight. The 902mm wide panels are substantially heavier and would require post supports of some kind or very large brackets. They are relatively rigid, so you might be able to bolt them directly into the back of the brick wall.

How large is the span between the brick pillars on the wall? Would the panels fit neatly between them?

Before you start any work, I encourage you to contact your local council to find out if there are any restrictions for your front fence. Corner blocks often have extra rules applied to them to maintain the driver's visual aspect at the corner. In some cases, you're not permitted to grow a hedge or have an elevated fence. Best to check first.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Hi Team, I am trying to install Merbau Fence panels on my retain walls across my house.

Hi @MitchellMc , thanks for your response.

The height as long as its same as pillars its okay with council. 
My plan is to use SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panels) as half cut horizontally and this will be supported by a bolted in post (90 x 90mm 3.6m Post GL17 Merbau Laminated DAR cutted in 400mm) in between pillars of boundary retaining wall which wpuld perfectly fit. The span between the pillars is about average 2.9 to 3.2 meters. On side of the pillars to use (42 x 28mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening slat cutted 400mm) as supporting side of the panels.
On garden side I will be using the (90 x 90mm 3.6m Post GL17 Merbau Laminated DAR - 1.2 m) as post in ground and 1800 × 902 Merbau fence panels horizontally.
Can you please advise if I am on right path. Like what screws I should be using to bolt in on bricks where using Dar and with Merbau panels on Dar and FJ oiled screening slats on sides of pillars.
I am also going to use panels as gates. Please see marked photos for reference.

Screenshot_20230904_124006_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_124519_Gallery.jpg

So far I have these items on my order

Screenshot_20230904-125416_Outlook.jpg

If you're attaching the panels to posts that are in the ground, then there's no need to bolt them into the bricks; the posts would be sufficient to hold them in place @manbir_hanspal.

If the panels are being secured in between the posts, then you can use stainless angle brackets to secure them in position. Use 50mm screws to attach the angle brackets to the posts and 20mm screws to attach the brackets to the panels.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc installing the panels on ground with posts for Garden area but installing the panels on bricks for retaining walls one as that will be on top of the bricks. So what will be bolts for them.?  Also how do secure panels on pillar side with that Merbau FJ slat. The middle part will be covered by post bolted in.

Hi @manbir_hanspal,

Could you perhaps draw a diagram to help convey the panel's positioning? That would be quite helpful when providing the required fixings. It sounds like you still use the brackets, but instead of screws, you'd use countersunk Dynabolts into the bricks.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects