Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install cat proof netting for balcony in rental apartment?

Seifer
Just Starting Out

How to install cat proof netting for balcony in rental apartment?

Hey there! We live in a rental apartment and would like to know if you have any ideas on how to build a cat proof enclosure? Any tips would be great. We can't drill holes etc. I am thinking suction cups/sticky hooks (that don't damage paint) and some netting? Thanks for the ideas!

20220522_171454.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cat proof netting for balcony (rental)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Seifer. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a cat-proof enclosure.

From your description, I presume you want to enclose this whole balcony and have the netting run between the balustrade and the ceiling? Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with you using temporary solutions like suction cups and sticky hooks. There is a reasonable chance that they would release from the wall/ceiling on a hot day and under the tension of the netting. 

Would you be able to take some additional pictures during the day so our helpful members can see what else you could work with? I trust they'll have plenty of ideas of how you can secure the netting adequately without installing permanent fixings. Please take a close-up picture of anything on the ceiling that sticks out or looks like something could be attached to it.

You might also like to check with your body corporate to see what visual changes are allowed on your balcony. If they were relatively strict, you might find that adding netting to a balcony is not permitted.

I look forward to those additional pictures and assisting in finding a workable solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

tsturz
Just Starting Out

Hi Michael, 

I am also wanting to install a cat met in a balcony at the rental I’m living in. 

do you have any suggestion of was to install netting easily and how to do it so it’s easy to take down and won’t leave any damage. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tsturz 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Cat enclosure by @Chrissie35. This should give you an idea of how to use rope and zip ties to secure the cat net to your outside balcony frame. There is also the option of building a small timber frame from which you can attach netting.

In my search for options, I came across the RapidMesh 122 x 106 x 73.5cm Cat Enclosure With Tunnel. This is something you can put together and take with you when you move. The good part about the enclosure is that there is no need to modify any part of your balcony.

However, before you make any modifications, I suggest checking with your homeowner's association if you are allowed to modify the outside look of your balcony.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects