Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install pet door in petmesh?

Narla
Building a Reputation

How to install pet door in petmesh?

Hi all. We have replaced our flyscreen with petmesh in our sliding door out to the backyard. I’m looking at purchasing the Pillar flyscreen pet door from Bunnings but they seem to have mixed reviews and worried I could end up ruining the mesh. I’d be grateful to hear if anyone has tried this and might have tips or photos of final result. Thanks very much:)

IMG_7093.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pet door in petmesh

Hi @Narla,

That is quite a budget-friendly and lightweight product, and there are other more robust solutions; although not designed to clip onto the flymesh. It would be fine for a cat, but if you have and excitable dog it might not stand up to the wear. 

What type of screen doors do you have? Could you share a picture with us? If you have a sliding screen door it would be my suggestion that you consider the Hukuna range of patio pet doors. They are far more robust and a more permanent solution for pet access.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Narla
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks very much for your reply. We previously purchased one of the Hukuna door inserts but unfortunately it did not work in the space. The screen door we currently have is very basic sliding door with no lock however is quite wide and the Cyclone petmesh roll size was not available at the time at Bunnings so ended up buying off the roll.

I also have a new Transcat 4-way Locking Pet Door for Glass Fitting (Dog door) and know it says for glass but wondering if I could possibly use it in petmesh if the Pillar one is not as durable?

IMG_7121.jpeg

IMG_7128.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Narla 

I'm not familiar with the Transcat door, but if it is anything like the Hakuna Pets Medium Ultra Clear Pet Door then it can only be installed on glass. 

Your first choice of using the Pillar Flyscreen Pet Door is actually quite sound, but if you have a larger excitable pet, I suggest using the Pillar 305 x 406mm Black Extra Large Flyscreen Pet Door it is stronger door and has better support when installed on a flyscreen door. 

Another option is to modify your flyscreen by adding a timber panel at the bottom and installing a standard pet door. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Narla
Building a Reputation

Thanks very much @EricL @MitchellMc . We ended up going with the Piller XL pet door. So far so good! Took our dog a few hrs to use it on her own and cat yet to master it😂 Pic is during the refuse to use it stage!

Next on the list is researching how I can install either waterproof shade cloth or some other option to go either over or under the cat netting for part of the catio at garage door end- before Winter

IMG_7201.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looks great @Narla! Well done.

Using Pillar 1.8 x 10m Monument 90% UV Waterproof Shade Cloth would likely be the simplest approach. It could be attached over the top of the cat netting with cable ties. A concern I have with that idea is that due to it being waterproof, it's really quite the sail that will capture the wind. Neither your fascia board nor the top rail of the Colorbond fence is designed to deal with those types of forces.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects