Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install privacy screen on patio posts?

norm741
Growing in Experience

How to install privacy screen on patio posts?

Hi,

Seeking ideas and advise on how to block off neighbors window in my patio.  I’m thinking about putting timber slats on the two posts with jacks screen up rear fix channels, not sure if it’s a good idea ? Please share if you have other suggestions. 
The width between two posts is about 2620mm, and I’m thinking to put timber slats above the cables rail to all the way up to near the top.

I have the below questions:

- Will it look good with timber slats just blocking the top half above the cables rail?  Any other suggestions?

- I’m not sure what metal are the posts made of, how can I tell?  I’m guessing they're steel or aluminum, will it be safe to drill into it to install the screen up channels and what type of screws should I be using?

- what type of timber slats should I be using?

Thanks for reading and any ideas will be appreciated! 

IMG_0081.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install privacy screen on patio posts?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @norm741. It's a pleasure having you join us and trust you'll find our site a handy resource with useful advice and inspiring ideas for all your D.I.Y. projects. 

Thank you for your question on installing a privacy screen - sounds like an exciting project. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist once he's back online later today. Let me also tag our helpful members @diy_hausdesigns@Bankzee and @Shannon for their thoughts.   

While waiting, I recommend having a look at experienced renovator @Adam_W's guide How to build privacy screening in case it helps. You can also have a look at the Top 10 most popular screening projects shared on Workshop if you're after some project inspiration. 

Do keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see how you end up transforming your patio.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @norm741 

I was just scrolling through and saw your question, I like what you have suggested. It allows air flow through the bottom and gives privacy at the top. I dont think it looks funny either. I have a full height privacy screen like that on my deck so maybe I am a little biased :smile:

You could also go down the track of these garden screen/panels and put two horizontal rails across the area, paint them black and then mount the screens to them. That would also look modern and tidy.

Fastening the slats to the posts, I would mount two vertical timber posts to the sides of the metal posts then attach the slats to the timber. Much easier to install. or mount the crossbeam supports to the posts directly and then the plastic swirly designs to them.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @norm741 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing a privacy screen on your patio post. Using Jack Outdoor 19mm Slat 2m Rear Fix Screen Up is a convenient way of installing timber slats between your two posts. The posts you currently have are probably steel as they are holding the roofing structure in your patio. I would recommend using Merbau Panels to provide cover. 

I suggest using Zenith 8G x 20mm Galvanised Button Head Metal Screws to attach the Screen Up to the metal posts. I also recommend using Jack 19 x 1970mm Screen Up Brace / Cover Strip to keep the panels aligned and prevent them from twisting. I propose using three strips spaced evenly to provide support.

Please make remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Jack Outdoor Screen Up

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bankzee
Having an Impact

@norm741 

Hi Norm, you are doing exactly what I did a while ago. I wrote a post about it that was warmly received here so it may assist. Here is a link.

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Privacy-screen-for-pergola/m-p/126916

It was replacing a Jacks Screen Up privacy screen as seen in the pics. My pergola posts were steel but regardless of whether they are aluminium or steel, the same process outlined in my post can be used. I used Steel Studs and screwed them to the metal posts. I chose steel over timber due to the lighter weight and ease of cutting with tin snips, as this was a 1 man job. This also meant I could use a smaller gauge metal screw which reduced the cost. 

Key points to note;

- I used a weatherproof backing in the form of corrugated colour bond as my choice of timber slat was Merbau and this leaches Tannins quite severely when it gets wet so keep this in mind if you decide to use a similar timber. You can leave the Merbau out in the weather to help with tannin removal or seal it but as I chose the colour bond this was unnecessary for my application. The exterior facing colour bond keeps the water off the interior facing Merbau. This also meant that I didn't need to oil the Merbau as it is never exposed to the weather.

- the full screen such as mine will prevent the flow of air if you do more than one side, thankfully I have mine only closed on the neighbours side as shown.

- timber slats spanning the length you suggest will need to be secured to a vertical support in the centre to prevent them bowing out. This is why in my screen I framed it out at 900mm intervals and screwed the Merbau to that.

- don't hesitate to use a contrasting colour screw. I used a white painted screw that contrasts nicely agains the darker Merbau.

More than happy to help you through your project via this post should you have any questions. This was the first major framing DIY job I did and I was rather pleased with the outcome and it still looks as good as the day I built it.

I was full of nerves before I started having never drilled into steel posts before and I was concerned about ruining our expensive pergola, but I needn't be as it was all quite easy when I look back at it. Everything is available from Bunnings as well which made it easy. Here is a pic of it all finished.

IMG_1669.jpeg

Bankzee...

norm741
Growing in Experience

Thanks Akanksha, so happy that I got so much response from the community already!  I can see there lots of useful information! 😊

norm741
Growing in Experience

Hi Dave, thanks for the idea, I thought it would be easier and looks better to use the screen up then using vertical timber, but it may save me some money, will certainly consider that.  
About the garden screen panels I’m not sure if the horizontal rails will support the weigh if I’m going to install it on the top half of the area?  Also what the plastic swirly design about?  I’m not sure if I understand what that is.

thanks for taking your time reading and giving me suggestions, very much appreciated. 

norm741
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the info Eric, I’m overwhelmed by all the different types of screws available and you have given me a good starting point.

I’m thinking to use the merbau pre oiled 69 x 15mm 2.7m screening, how much would it cost to have it delivered say if I need about 30 of them?  

norm741
Growing in Experience

Thanks Bankzee!  Love your work, can’t believe it’s a D.I.Y. job by looking at the pics, it looks amazing!  Now you got me thinking if I should do a bit more than just the simple plan I had. 🤪
Also thanks for the heads up about the tannins leach, will that happen to those Specrite merbau slats?  Or will it help if I put an extra layer of oil on the timber slats?  
will spend some time reading your project and let you know if I have more questions. 

Tthanks for the kind words Norm, I even surprised myself how good it turned out. As for the Specrite Merbau, I found both oiled and non oiled slats leeched once they got wet from the rain and that yellow rail you have above the balustrade wire bear the brunt of the leached tannins. Any oil applied will need regular application throughout the screens lifetime most likely. Only way I see to get around the leaching is to leave it out in the weather for several weeks or buy a waterproof backing on the screens external facing side such as what I did. I recall on another project I did, when I tried to paint Merbau, the tannins still leached through 3 coats of paint. It’s a lovely rich coloured timber but the tannins that give the lovely richness are such a pain. Next time you’re at Bunnings you should buy a small length and see what happens when it gets wet. After being exposed to the weather it loses some of its rich red colour as well as the tannins leach out. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects