Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install railing on wooden deck?

paull
Just Starting Out

How to install railing on wooden deck?

wooden  deck   needs   a   railing   on  it  for  safety   of    baby    ......  almost  grass  level,  and  has posts  to hold   roofing  up   but  all  open.   what  can  someone  suggest    Cheap.  and   its  on  rented  property,  so  easy  to   take  down  again   if  owner   wants  to.     Paull    

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install railing on wooden deck?

Hi @paull and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of the deck and surrounding area? It would really help members to provide more specific and helpful advice if they can see what you are working with. 

Please let us know if you need a hand sharing photos. 

We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to divide of a wooden deck that is almost grass level

Hello @paull

Thanks for sharing your question about installing a rail on your wooden deck. I believe your options are to either install a proper timber railing which you can speak to your landlord about and possibly work out a deal for its cost or ask your local council about the viability of installing a pool fence on the deck. The reason for this is that the council's rules and regulations for railings on decks are very strict. I propose doing this in the best possible way as it involves the safety of family members.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects