Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install shade cover on pergola?

Mela18
Getting Established

How to install shade cover on pergola?

Hi team! 
I'd love to install shade cloth to allow us to use this pergola area more. 

The approx. area is 4.2 x 2.5m and there is ~69cm between the top beams (there are 6 long sections of 2.5m so need approx. 15m of shadecover at 70cm width?)
I only need it to last 2 years or so, but do want good UV protection. 
I understand heavy rain would come through.
My Qs:

1. Do my calculations look ok and is it feasible to cut this product up in this propsed way:
Cut this into 70cm strips (would cover 5 sections) https://www.bunnings.com.au/coolaroo-3-6m-wide-70-uv-shade-cloth-per-metre-stone_p3300427 $29.80/linear metre. Need 2.5m = $74.50

Cut this into 70 strip for final section https://www.bunnings.com.au/coolaroo-1-83m-wide-70-uv-shade-cloth-per-metre-stone_p3300426 $14.90/linear metre. Need 2.5m = $37.25

2. If I'm only expecting this to last 2 or so years, is a staple gun a fine way to install? Or do I have to use timber fasteners?

3. Would you install the shade cloth from the top of the beams, or from underneath?

MANY THANKS in advance for any advice you can give. I've never done anything like this before, but would love to learn how.

IMG20221216121927.jpgIMG20221216121942.jpgIMG20221216121951.jpgIMG20221216122905.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install shade cover on pergola?

Hello @Mela18

Thank you for sharing your question about installing shade cloth in your pergola. Your calculations are correct, if you were to divide the 3.6-meter width of the shade cloth it would cover five sections of the pergola, the last section would not even need to be a meter just about 750mm should suffice. It's always better to have a little extra just in case.

I suggest mounting it from the top and using Coolaroo Grey Timber Fasteners - 50 Pack. I recommend starting with ends to keep the tension uniform as you move forward with your installation. For extra security, I suggest fastening the shade cloth with exterior-rated cable ties.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the shade cloth installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects