Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install weatherboard fencing?

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

How to install weatherboard fencing?

Hi wonderful workshop community 

We recently got our new fence installed and now starting to plan out some landscaping.

20230210_192111.jpg

I want it install some weatherboard panels to zone off part of the fence above where the deck will eventually go, using weatherboard panels in the image below.

a-lign-fencng-2__PadWzEyMDAsNjc1LCJGRkZGRkYiLDBd.jpg

From what I gather, I'll need to frame up portions of the space between the posts (RED) for the panels to be fixed to (BLUE).

20230210_192200.jpg

Would love any input from anyone, particularly to do with type of timber, screws, brackets suitable.

Thanks again all.

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Re: Weatherboard fencing

Hello @diy_hausdesigns 

Thank you very much for the update, I'm very keen to see what your fence will look like once the weatherboards are installed. 

Looking forward to the next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to install weatherboard fencing?

@diy_hausdesigns 

Man that fence is looking good, I wasnt sure at first but you have sold me on the idea! For the jointing of the sheets, is the compound like plaster and applied like plaster? Its one part I hadnt thought of.

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 

Glad to hear this project has inspired you. Dunlop has a FC jointing product that is pre-mixed and easy to use and yes, pretty much applied like plaster out of a bucket. Also make sure you get the FC jointing tape. The stuff can crack if you don't use the tape.

Here's some more progress from the weekend. 

20230328_121636.jpg

20230328_135508.jpg

----

@diy_hausdesigns 

Bugger! Now I want to go home and fix up my old painted blue colourbond fence around part of the pool :smile: That is coming up so nicely.

I have another question lol, So the weatherboard panels look pretty nice, the flat paneling is under them? And if so Is that what you need to do to install the weatherboard sheets? or are you having it to define an area?

Sorry with the always questions :smile:

Dave

Good pick up there ! 

I am just defining the area with the weatheboards, where the deck will eventually line up to. There is no FC sheeting behind the weatherboards, just the timber framing built into the fence to mount the weatherboards. 

Don't hesitate to ask, always Happy to help 

Rufaro 

----
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1 

Just in case you're wondering what those products are, the FC joint compound is the Dunlop 3kg Fibre Cement Jointing Compound and the tape is called the Builders Edge 50mm x 90m Alkali Resistant Render Fibre Cement Tape

If you ever decide to give this project a go, please make sure to post an update. 

Eric

Hi @EricL 

Finally finished installing the FC weatherboard and the rest of the FC sheets. This includes a screen for the hot water unit and bins.

Next we'll paints it all, build a deck and lay fresh new turf but for now, we are super happy with it.

20230331_163259.jpg

20230331_163424.jpg

20230331_163218.jpg

20230331_163443.jpg

20230331_163132.jpg

Updating Media

Before

Screenshot_20230328-123021_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230328-122623_Gallery.jpg

  

----

Hello @diy_hausdesigns 

Thank you very much for posting that update on your weatherboard fencing project. It looks very nice now and I can only imagine how fantastic it will look once you've painted it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next update.

Eric

@diy_hausdesigns 

What a difference! That last photo of the bare fence and what it looks like now! :smile: 

Gone from a 1950's run down look to a modern one.

Need to get my butt moving! :smile:

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 and @EricL 

Thank you. Really appreciate the feedback. We've started painting so I'll share the final project when thats done, look out after Easter!

Cheers all.

----

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects