Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate Colorbond patio?

tanmaried
Finding My Feet

How to insulate Colorbond patio?

1657058398862981394820297683166.jpg

16570584175223519744519576918914.jpg

  this is the problem..I don't know what to do before we insulate the area..because in winter this is a common problem..just soaking wet and drips over everything 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wanting to insulate colourbond patio

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tanmaried. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a patio.

You might like to check out this discussion on How to stop condensation on patio roof? The moisture in the air is coming in contact with the underside of the roof, and when it accumulates, it begins to drip. Simply insulating and cladding over the area removes the opportunity for moisture to contact the surface.

The key here is preventing the moist air from contacting the surface, and insulating the ceiling or enclosing the area will do that.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for that. Will the insulation get mouldy from the moisture? Does it need to be coated with something first? I was also wondering, do we need to insulate out to these areas(have sent pics)?..Thanks Heaps

16570635176208032100181862953350.jpg

16570635480459182700158140835419.jpg

@tanmaried,

There is only moisture there due to the underside of the roof being exposed. The moisture can't access the ceiling if you insulate and enclose the area. Therefore, the insulation won't go mouldy as there won't be any moisture present. You'd need to add insulation and clad the roof's underside with cement sheeting.

You don't need to insulate right out to the extremities. However, you'll still get condensation there.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Heaps...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects