Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate camper van?

paige123
Just Starting Out

How to insulate camper van?

Hi guys, 

I’m currently in the process of building out my swb vw transporter as a camper van. 
I have just completed the sound deadening and now up to insulation. A lot of the products suggested aren’t available in Australia or only come in quantities large enough to insulate a whole house! 
looking for some recommendations on what to use, I’ve been thinking the earth wool then foil wrap maybe?

as far as I understand, I need a closed cell liner but unsure which one. 
Any help is greatly appreciated! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: camper van insulation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @paige123. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a camper van.

The issue I see with using Earthwool is trying to hold it in position, though it's great for filling voids in the wall skins. I'd suggest you use it for filling any nooks and crannies but use Bastion foam board insulation for the actual insulation. It can be glued in place and is super simple to cut to fit around odd areas. It's also nice and flat, so when you come to install your internal lining, you won't have to try and compress insulation batts. It's a closed cell, so it suits your requirements. Another brilliant reason to use XPS foam is that it's compatible with expanding foam. You can use it to fill any gaps between the boards or as a glue for them. It adheres terrifically to the boards, but until it has cured, it doesn't have a tremendous holding force. That's why I recommended the Sika product.

Let me know what you think, and if you're not a fan, we can consider other options. Super keen to follow along with your build and would love to see some photos of where you're up to.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects