Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to join Hebel blocks and concrete slab?

paulbwilliams12
Just Starting Out

How to join Hebel blocks and concrete slab?

Hi, I am building an outdoor bbq using Hebel power blocks for the structure and concrete slabs for the shelf (on which the bbq will sit) and the benchtop. I used mortar under the first row of Hebel blocks and AAC adhesive to join the rest of the blocks. My question is what product I should use to join the concrete slabs which will sit on top of the Hebel blocks? I haven't been able to find an answer online.

20240108_074550.jpg

20240107_113002.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Joining AAC blocks and concrete slab

Hi @paulbwilliams12 

You just need a  bead of  silicone  to sit those  slabs on to as their own weight will almost hold  them in place. The silicone will squish out and support any surface imperfections.  Silicone is removal later at need and water proof for the inside spaces.

Thanks Jewelleryrescue. Makes sense and much easier than I feared!

My next question: I plan to lay one more row of Hebel blocks on top of the concrete slab 'shelf'. What product should I use to fix the Hebel blocks to the concrete 'shelf' on which they will sit? 

Hi @paulbwilliams12 

While you have your silocon out  glue  your top  bricks  on too. But if you  want that mortar join for the finished  look use  traditional  mortar.

Its  about the finish you want to see there.

And your block work looking  great so far and not even  finished :smile:

Hi @paulbwilliams12 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about joining AAC blocks to a concrete slab.

I just want to be clear about the position of the slabs. The concrete slabs will be going on top of the AAC not in between them? Then another row of AAC blocks on top of the concrete blocks? If so, then I suggest going with Jewelleryrescue's suggestion and using mortar to anchor the AAC to the concrete slab. 

If you are after a bit more holding power, I propose looking at Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive for the concrete slab.

It sounds like a fantastic project, please make sure to post an update once its fully assembled. I'm sure our members will be keen to see it once its fully assembled with the BBQ in place.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects