Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay artificial grass on concrete and add drainage?

Chooky66
Just Starting Out

How to lay artificial grass on concrete and add drainage?

how to lay artificial grass onto concrete and what do i do for a drainage outlet

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay artificial grass on concrete and add drainage?

Hello @Chooky66 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about installing artificial grass on concrete.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area where you are planning on installing the artificial lawn? This will give our members a chance to assess the location. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

One of the things that we will be looking out for is where to point the drainage. If it is to be located in an open area with no side supports, it's probable that some type of formwork will need to be built to hold the sand in place. 

Just to give you a general idea of how artificial turf is laid down here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need a hand posting your photos, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Chooky66
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric My apologies for late response So I want to lay artificial grass over a concrete area It has a drain hole so do I cover with the grass or cut around the drain It can get quite wet there if heavy rain Thank you Pam 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Chooky66 (Pam)

Since the artificial turf is permeable, I suggest doing a quick test and observing the drain time of the water when it starts to rain. If it drains too slowly and you begin to develop a puddle, then it will be necessary to cut the turf to allow the water to drain away. But if the water drains sufficiently then you can leave the turf as is. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Chooky66
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric that’s a great suggestion I’ll see what happens fingers crossed 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects