Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay brick paving?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to lay brick paving?

IMG20230128085847.jpg

Hi All expert out there .. need some advise. I wanted to make the soil area brick paving similar to the right side of the paving bricks. Question is what type of bricks should I get and how deep I need to dig.. Also what layer I need to put? Do I put sand and compact it before laying brick and lastly cement powder and spray with water? Can I do section but section?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brick Paving

Hi @calccom21,

You might like to have a look at this helpful step-by-step article: How to laying paving for a path. The steps involved will be similar, and the article shows you how to prepare the ground. If you are just laying a bed of sand under the new bricks, then you'll need to dig the depth of the brick and 20-30mm more to accommodate the sand underneath. Once you've bedded the bricks you can set the mortar lines with a mix of cement and sand and then water it in. You can do sections at a time if that's easier.

I suspect you'll find it difficult to find matching bricks. So, you might want to choose another style and make a feature out of the area. Speaking of features, where is this area? Would it make a nice location to construct a small deck that you could place a three-piece furniture setting on and enjoy a morning cuppa?

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc . That is what I planning to do.. the video really helps me understand what I need to do step by step. By the way, is there any specific type of bricks for paving or any types of bricks will do?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @calccom21

For a uniform look, I suggest measuring your brick before going to the store. Since there are no fixed rules on brick matching if you do decide to get something bigger, just try to imagine how it will look when mixed in with your current set of bricks. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi, im about to start my next project to fill these with outdoor bricks. Also i wanted to add the whole area to outdoor tiles. Just wonderin if i can lay on top of the existing bricks? is it harder thant putting a decking? thought? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @calccom21 

In reference to the original discussion, putting pavers in the unpaved area is ok. However, I don't recommend tiling over the bricks as they are not a solid foundation for the tiles to hold onto. Any underground movement by the pavers will result in the tiles either getting broken or popping off. The ideal surface is to have a concrete base where there is little possibility of movement.

In regards to decking, it all depends on how big an area you are trying to cover. Building a low-level deck has its own set of challenges, but if you are interested, I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks. Can anyone give me an advise here? As per my initial photo above, I'm planning to lay bricks paver before I put a decking. I saw a better but thinner paver than then normal bricks the photos below (left the regular bricks and assume than is currently on my floor) right paver stone seems better quality and smoother surface but thinner. Can anyone advise the pros and cons? And if Im going to lay the right side does that means I do no need to dig so much deeper hole?

IMG20230227105120.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @calccom21 

If the foundation for the paver has been prepared properly, the paver you've chosen should work adequately. Even if it is a little bit thinner than the brick, the amount of soil you'll need to remove only needs to accommodate the sand and the paver itself. Plus, the paver looks to be very close to the size of your current brick paving. From a deck footing point of view, you can always put a large paver above the newly laid pavers as the main base for an adjustable deck footing.

I suggest having a quick look at this featured project - Low-profile deck with screening and steps. by @MGusto. This shows you an excellent example of how the deck footing is laid out even on large brick pavers.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL @MitchellMc  - is there a fire rated treated pine for the bearer/ ledger or joist for someone who wanted to build decking in a fire prone area?

Hi @calccom21,

You'll need to speak with your local council regarding the use of timber around your property. You'll need to determine the BAL rating your property must adhere to. Typically you'll find that it's hardwoods that can be acceptable, depending on the rating designated for your property. Generally speaking, Pine is not an acceptable timber for use in a fire-prone area, and I'm unaware of any fire-resistant products made from it.

Once you work out your local BAL rating requirements, I can advise you on suitable materials.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects