Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay decking boards over an existing deck?

Rodp20
Finding My Feet

How to lay decking boards over an existing deck?

3A21259F-D480-4546-BF08-6EB2BA4B1148.jpeg1FA8FC5A-5DD0-4EB7-87A7-00A96C1E1574.jpegF68EE2BE-ECF0-4908-892E-A7FD60BA38B2.jpegECD2933C-9074-4569-8A67-48E60CD166B8.jpegI have a deck off my first floor living area. It is a steel framed carport over the entrance to a double garage on ground level. 
The deck is covered with Ply and over layered with Deck King by Skellerup. Its like a vinyl floor covering with a stipple finish so it not slippery in the wet.
I would like to overlay the Deck King layer with a "floating wooden deck" so that I can have deck furniture on it without the fear of cutting the Deck King Membrane as it is the waterproof layer. The underside of the deck is enclosed with security lighting and looks just like the soffit of the rest of the house so don't want any water getting in there.
Question : Can I lay a timber frame onto of the Deck King without fixing it through the deck King and have the decking timber on top of that so that decking is at the level of the internal floor of the house so that I can walk through the ranch slider onto the deck at floor level (No Step Down) and if so what product do you recommend. ??
NB: PS The deck is North facing and is exposed to all day sun and a lot of heat.

Rodp20
Finding My Feet

Re: Raising the standard of an existing Deck

PS The deck is North facing and is exposed to all day sun.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Rodp20

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about raising the standard of your deck.

Your proposal of raising the floor level of your deck raises a few issues. The added weight going on top of your existing deck. Your existing deck posts have been engineered to hold a specific weight. Any additional weight added on top of your existing deck will compromise its structure. It could possibly cause it to sway or collapse.

The added height will now make your balustrade non-compliant as the flooring has gone up, making the barrier too low. I suggest using DIY Turf 300 x 300 x 20mm Synthetic Turf Tile - 6 Pieces. It is a lightweight interlocking panel and allows rain to pass through. This means that no rainwater will get trapped beneath it. Another option is Matrix 590 x 590 x 20mm Charcoal The Shed Tread Panel. Made from recycled plastics, they can be linked together to form any size. 

Those two panels are both low in height, lightweight, and will not add a great deal of weight to your deck. This makes them the perfect floor cover for your deck and will also allow you to put decking furniture on top of them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric ... Thats food for thought.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects