Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level concrete on alfresco?

devin
Getting Established

How to level concrete on alfresco?

Hey everyone, I'm just about to embark on my second decking project - my alfresco. Unfortunately, the guys that did the concrete had not done a great job at levelling it and every time it rains, I'm left with a big puddle of water in the middle. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how I could level this up. I've come across a few self-levelling products on the site, wondering if anyone has any DIY recommendations. 

Thanks in advance!

Devin

IMG_7597.jpgIMG_7598.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to level concrete on alfresco?

Hi @devin

Thank you for sharing your question about the concrete slab in your alfresco. Unfortunately, your concrete guys did not put a proper tilt to the slab. Had they placed even a tilt of 2 degrees, the water in that depression would have flowed away to your garden. Your proposed solution is spot on, I suggest using Dunlop 20kg Ardit Floor Leveller or similar to fix the dip in your slab. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to level a floor

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
devin
Getting Established

Hi @EricL 

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I'll definitely give this a go and let you know how it goes. 

Thanks for the video, too!

Cheers, 

Devin

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @devin,

Just be aware that since you have textured concrete, you'd need to apply the same texture to the floor leveller if you're planning on only filling the depression, as otherwise, you'll end up with a big smooth patch of concrete. It appears that they have used a stiff bristle brush to create the texture. Also, the floor leveller isn't going to assist with the slab's ability to drain water, but it will stop it from pooling in that depression.

Do you know if this water entered the area from a flooded lawn that reached the top of the slab, or was it rain that came into the area? If the water is from a flooded lawn, I'd suggest you install drainage across the area, and this guide will be useful: How to fix a muddy lawn. If it's rain that's entered the area, I'd recommend installing some Bistro Blinds.

Please keep us updated on your project and reach out if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

devin
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for that tip! I'll get my hands on a brush as well. 

The water is just rain entering from the sides and I was looking at the Bistro Blinds just last week, I'll probably end up putting them once the deck goes up. 

Thanks again for the tips!

Cheers, 

Devin

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh geez! It's been a while since we chatted about that. Good to see the plans are still in the works.

If you're still intending to deck over the area, then the aesthetics of your fix are of lesser concern than the functionality. It doesn't take much to do the texture, though.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects