Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level cracked outdoor slabs?

Jacqueline23
Growing in Experience

How to level cracked outdoor slabs?

I am wanting to level two separate outdoor slabs. Both have some cracks and have been painted or stained in the past. I plan to paint and stencil them when they have been levelled. What are the best crack fillers, primers and levellers to use? Thank you

Re: self level outdoor slab

Let me know how you go with that paint test @Jacqueline23. It will make your life a lot easier if you can prime the painted surface instead of removing it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Soooo…. the rag had slight colour but when I tested it on another piece with known water based paint I didn’t get any colour removal. Maybe I might just have to hope it’s water based.?.?.?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jacqueline23 

I'm sorry, but would it be possible for you to redo the test? You might have hit a soft spot where the paint was loose. If you find another spot where the paint does not come off odds are it is solvent based. If you have a grinding tool, I suggest having a look at using Josco 75mm Twistknot Cup Brush. This is designed to strip rust and paint. Please let us know what the results are and we'll continue from there.

Eric

Jacqueline23
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric and Mitchell

Thanks again for being so helpful. Tried some other spots and it’s come off. My life should be a little easier now :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jacqueline23 

That's good to hear. Please remember to put a slope on the slab when you re-level the surface so that any rainwater will flow away from the house.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects