Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lower timber sleeper height?

Sam12
Getting Established

How to lower timber sleeper height?

Removed some plants from this section at front of house where roots were close to foundation and replaced with pebbles.

But realized that timber sleeper is higher so pebbles are not visible. Is it possible to just cut the sleeper lower with hand saw? As I don't want to dig more for it. Furthermore, sleeper is more of just an edge and not holding much weight behind it. Thanks

IMG_9103.jpegIMG_9102.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lower timber sleeper height?

Hello @Sam12 

Thanks for sharing your question about lowering your sleeper height. Have you considered adding sand or soil to the pebble bed to increase its height instead? To the protect the pebbles from getting mixed in with the sand or soil, I suggest using weed mat or geofabric between them.

Cutting the sleeper is possible, but it opens it up to exposure and although you can use a spray sealer on it, it won't have the same level of protection. Unfortunately, the sleeper would need to removed in order to get a straight cut.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Sam12 as @EricL mentioned, you would need to remove the sleepers in order to rip them down in height. Using a hand-saw will be a challenge as even using a powered circular saw requires more power to rip than to cross-cut. Personally the current above ground height appears to me to be an easy edge to trim the grass against whilst retailing the pebbles in place. It also provides a good barrier from your lawn mower. But if your preference is to lower the height of the sleepers, I would suggest taking them out and digging the trench deeper and re-laying them thus eliminating the need to cut them at all.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Nailbag

Sam12
Getting Established

@EricL Thanks, i actually kept it lower intentionally to have atleast 100-150mm space from weepholes.

I kept a bit of soil with slight slope away from house, added road base, compacted it, then placed a weed mat and added pebbles.

Just realised after that sleeper should have been lowered down as well.

By exposure to sleeper do you mean wear and tear or risk of termite? I suppose its treated timber but not sure if cutting it down will impact that as well. Thanks a lot!

Sam12
Getting Established

@Nailbag Thanks i suppose most practical option would be to dig a bit more. Is there any way by which i keep soil and roadbase in place when removing the sleeper :smile:

I might just try to add some temporary support probably.

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Just a shovel is all you need and nothing to retain. Dig on a rough 45deg angle about 300mm out from the sleepers. Then every 500mm do a a straight in plunge with the sole and scoop the sections of doily and lawn out. Then plods will be able to be put back once the sleepers have been lowered. Down'y be concerned they wont lay perfectly again as they will settle in over a few weeks. Use the shovel to dig straight Lehigh on the pebble side and scoop them back towards the house. Nothing will need to be retained on that side. The sleepers have been there for some time so little cave in if any will occur.

See attached photo.

Hope that helps. Nailbag.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 9.20.37 PM.png

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Eveing @Sam12 

Nice looking garden and I like the prethought you have put into it. I have the same suggestion as @Nailbag  in lowering the edge into the ground. My only difference is I would rake the pebbles back against the house temporarily and then the road base back as well. Use a mattack or shovel to cut the slot deeper then reverse the process. 

Worth the effort to showcase the garden bed :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects