Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to maintain outdoor timber deck?

hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

How to maintain outdoor timber deck?

Hi @MitchellMc 

seeking your advice against mate. All your previous advices of have been invaluable.

There is an outdoor timber boards or deck as can be seen in the image attached. Looking for advice as to below?

1) How should I maintain the same to ensure it withstands all the vagaries of the nature?

2) How often should I maintain it m? Does the frequency of maintenance vary by the season?

3) How do I enhance and keep the shine on the same?

as always, thankful to your inputs and amazing tools Bunnings has to offer.

IMG_1744.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: maintenance of outdoor timber deck

Hi @hisumesh,

The deck looks in good condition and only requires general upkeep maintenance. This involves a yearly coating with oil, and it looks like it could do with one now to rejuvenate it, making it look A+. Here's a helpful guide: How to oil your deck. In the article, they use a deck cleaning product before the oil. This is only necessary if you feel there are stains or the timber has become discoloured. Your deck looks reasonable, but it could benefit from a clean first.

In between your yearly oiling, you can use a mild mix of a few drops of dishwashing detergent and warm water to mop any dust or residue from the deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

Re: maintenance of outdoor timber deck

Thanks a lot @MitchellMc .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects