Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a simple bench

AnitaH25
Having an Impact

How to make a simple bench

wooden bench.jpg

I made myself a trough party table and needed some benches to go with it.  I can't follow plans, all my projects are made up as I go along.  This was how I made my benches.  My benches were made from all recycled wood that I put through a thickness planer to clean it up.  The table I wanted the benches for was a bigger than average table, So my sizes were to fit this table. Sizes available on my website. I started by making my frame which was so simple. I drilled my holes and lined the wood up and screwed in the screws.

Wood bench (4).jpg

I cut 12 pieces of wood to the correct height. (This will depend on the table you use and the height you want the bench to be). The legs were sanded with an orbital sander and the edges removed with a wood router to soften the look.

Wood bench (8).jpg

I used a spade bit to drill half way through the legs because I was unable to get longer carriage bolts to attach the legs. It does not show in the image but I also added a long screw through the legs into the base to stop the legs from moving. I also glued the legs in place for extra support.

Wood bench (2).jpg

The carriage bolt heads add a nicer look to the bench. But any bolts can be used.

Capture.JPGI cut smaller sections of wood to fit between the legs to make them more sturdy. I used a countersink drill bit to drill out the screw hole so I could hide the screws. These were later filled with wood filler.Wood bench (11).jpg

The tops of my benches were also recycled wood planks left over on a building site. The sides of the wood planks were damaged which were cut down using a table saw. I started in the middle of the bench frame adding the top planks working my way out. The screws were countersunk so the heads did not stick out and cause injury.Wood bench (5).jpg

There was too much excess wood hanging over the sides. These were trimmed down using a circular saw. The edges were rounded off with a wood router and round over bit. The surface was sanded using an orbital sander, using 120 grit up to 320 grit sandpaper.20170313_133341.jpg

And that was it, a simple no-frills bench made from recycled wood. 

mvtgodspeed
Just Starting Out

Re: How to make a simple bench

Hi, 

It's an awesome workmanship and a straight forward procedures. I really want to copy your project if you don't mind. Just wondering if you can share the timber sizes and measurement? 

I really appreciated in advance for your reply. Thanks!

Great to see you inspired by Anita's project @mvtgodspeed. Many thanks for joining in the discussion and a warm welcome to the community. We look forward to seeing how your own bench project progresses. I'm sure @AnitaH25 will get back to you with those measurements as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Very Nice!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you.

@mvtgodspeed 

All the sizes are on my website.  I did not add them because your bench will depend on the lenght and height of your table.  Would love to see yours when completed.

My website is www.uniquecreationsbyanita.com

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects