Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a vertical garden from pallets?

lakiita
Having an Impact

How to make a vertical garden from pallets?

Hi all I saw a project for turning a timber pallet in to a vertical garden. I think this is an amazing idea for a herb garden but how do I attach the pallet to the wall of my house without damaging my house?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/planting-and-growing/diy-pallet-vertical-garden

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a vertical garden from Pallets

Hi @lakiita,

You might like to start by letting our helpful members know what the wall of the house is constructed from. That way, they'd be much better placed to offer useful advice.

Regardless of the wall type, you'll need to attach the pallet garden to it. This isn't damaging it, but you will need to drill into the wall and put some fixings into it. Any fixing holes can be repaired if you ever decide to remove the pallet. In the guide, it appears they've drilled holes in a mortar line and inserted Ramplugs. Bugle timber screws were then screwed into the Ramplugs, and the pallet hung on those. I've used the bugle timber screws directly through weatherboards and into the timber studs. This was also sufficient for hanging a pallet.

I'm keen to hear more about the wall you'll be fixing onto and offer further advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I'm hoping to attach it to the outside brick wall of my patio although that doesn't get a heap of sun so possible the front brick wall of my house but then it might get too much sun and I am ideally wanting it for a vertical herb garden. Non direct sunlight will be ok for herbs though won't it? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Bright indirect sunlight will be fine for herbs @lakiita.

If you are attaching it to a brick wall, the above method I described with the Ramplugs would be suitable. Do you have a hammer drill for creating the holes in the masonry?

Mitchell

HI @lakiita 

That is not a hammer drill. You will need to drill into masonry. You can normally tell a hammer drill as it has a little hammer switch/button on it. Here's one that you could buy to suit your existing Ozito platform if you can't borrow one from a friend or neighbour. Ozito PXC 18V Hammer Drill - Skin Only - Bunnings Australia

Ok thanks

I am slowly cultivating the entire Ozito tool range lol even though I don't know how to use most of them properly. I could probably AirTasker someone to put the pallet up for me but figure having the tools and doing it myself will work out better in the long run. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita,

I thought it's worth adding that you should line those growing sections with Builders' Plastic, but remember to poke some holes in it to allow drainage. It will prevent the soil from coming in contact with the pallet wood and prolong its lifespan. Also, when selecting pallets, it's best to use a pallet stamped with an HT and not an MB. The HT-stamped pallets are heat treated and perfectly safe to use for this planter.

Mitchell

where is the pallet stamp usually located? I can't see one on mine (it came with the delivery of my Besser Block bench stuff)  I am planning to sand the pallet - if I oil it will that help it last as well? Or is there a paint I can use? I haven't bought my clamps or drill yet - I am a slow project gal haha

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lakiita,

The stamp would typically be on the side timbers of the pallet. Blank or HT would be fine, but my preference would be not to use it if it has an MB stamp. The stamp will be quite noticeable if it's there.

Oiling or any exterior-grade paint will help prevent the decay of the pallet.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects