Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a water feature?

Munchie
Just Starting Out

How to make a water feature?

how to make a water feature with water pouring out of a jug into bird bath

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a water feature?

Hello @Munchie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about making a water feature.

It's definitely a challenge, but I think it can be done. I suggest having a look at this guide - How to create a pond in a pot by @Adam_W. Although not exactly what you were after, this project gives you the basics of how it might be accomplished. If you have the right pond and a birdbath that fits inside the pond the water pump can then direct the flow of water to the jug and then out to the birdbath. The overflow will simply fall back into the pond.

Give me some time to draw up a plan on how it can be put together. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @robchin for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Munchie
Sorry I missed this earlier in the week. This is a great project for you to take on. I have two little ponds in my backyard and I love them - as do the fish in them. It will be a tricky job getting the pots and the bird bath right and importantly hiding the cable. Looks like @EricL is going to give you some more detailed advice buy my best advice will be to go for a low volume pump with a long extension lead like this one you can get at Bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-ap750lv-water-feature-pump_p2810056 

Depending on how you want to configure, and the size of the jug and the bird bath - you may need a separate, but linked sump underneath to collect and recycle the water.  Good luck. 

Munchie
Just Starting Out

When I looked at reviews on the aqua flow 750, doesn’t look like that is the way to go as the pump doesnt seem to last, people taking them back! Don’t really want to go solar as far too expensive for the little job, think I might just have water in bowl and lean jug up next to it, pretend water is flowing in!  Be interested in what you have to say or come up with? Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Munchie 

Sorry for the delay. The design I've created is dependent on the pond and birdbath that you purchase. If the pond is too high you will have to use a thicker piece of steel. But if you keep it low say 300mm then the parts I'll be mentioning should work out perfectly. The maximum height you can have is 400mm bird bath included.

I suggest using Whites 7 x 1800mm Reinforcing Wire - 3 Pack as the jug holder. Using a heavy jug will bend the steel out of shape. Make sure to use a jug that is made of plastic and not too heavy. Pond size can be as big as you like but it must not exceed 300mm in height. The birdbath can go as high as 400mm but no more than that. 

Please have a look at the assembly instructions and if you have any questions, please let me know. 

Eric

Munchie water feature1.jpgMunchie water feature2.jpgMunchie water feature3.jpgMunchie water feature4.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Munchie 

My apologies for not answering your pump question. Pump failure often happens when the pump is not cleaned often enough, the powerpoint is exposed to heavy moisture or is weighed down by heavy objects compromising the pump seals. Just remember to keep your docket so that you have proof of purchase. I suggest investing in a more robust pump like the Aquapro AP1000F Pond And Fountain Pump

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects