Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

Highlighted
Occasional Browser

How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

Hi All, 

So happy to have found this workshop community. I am keen on making my first wood project in a decade!

I want to make a folding wooden picnic table like in the pictures. I needed helpwith the below questions if someone could assist: 

- Am I going to be able to find all materials at Bunnings? If so, what should I ask for?
- Would I need to waterproof the wood/ paint?- What do I need in tools to make things easier for a novice like myself? 

Any pointers to get me started are welcome! Or if you think it’s too tough for a novice, let me know also :smile: 

Thankyou! 

B02E6DF3-E66E-4344-92ED-60344B52F843.jpeg

9CC80676-8FCD-42A9-858C-FAED88C90181.jpeg

Highlighted
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @naila123. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I think this is a perfect project to choose as a novice.

It appears that they have used 70mm treated pine decking for all of the timber. The timber is already waterproof but you can paint it with Dulux Weathershield to achieve a similar finish. They have sliced a board down the centre to make the braces for the legs and some standard door hinges have been used to allow them to fold. Suitable screws would be Zenith 8 - 10 x 30mm Treated Pine Countersunk Head Screws - 100 Pack. You might like to counter-sink these so they bite into the timber further.

You could construct this folding table with only a hand saw and a screwdriver, though a drill driver and circular saw would be helpful. 

I've rendered the construction pieces to give you a slightly better idea of how it is put together.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

Looking forward to seeing what you can create @naila123. Great to have you join the community.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects