Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make stained deck less slippery?

archerwinmakes
Having an Impact

How to make stained deck less slippery?

I have changed the finished on my front entrance merbau decking that has seen better days. It was originally finished with Intergrain Ultradeck Merbau Decking Stain

I did the following:

1. Clean deck using Integrain Ultraprep Tannin and Stain Remover - which TBH didn't do anything...

2. Strip varnish with Polystrippa Paint Stripper

3. Sanded using 40grit on the decking sander I rented

4. Cleaned again using Cabot's Deck Clean.

5. After overnight drying I applied several coats of the Cabot's Deck & Exterior Stain (Beach house) as directed. This is a PITA to apply, very hard to get an even coat. I had to sand in between coats to remove bubble and streak marks... 

So after the last coat dried, then next day it rained.  I noticed the deck surface was slippery...

How do I fix this? Not really happy with the overall result... But I don't like to do it all over again as I don't want to waste the money I already used.

Please help.IMG_2613.PNGIMG_2612.PNG

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to make stained deck less slippery?

Sorry to read about your slippery deck, @archerwinmakes

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to provide some suggestions on how to make your deck less slippery once he can. Let me also call upon our experienced members @Jewelleryrescue@TedBear and @Tyro to see if they have any thoughts.

Many thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @archerwinmakes 

Ihavent used this  product in person but the brand is rock solid. 

A clear UV stable saftey coating  do test if on a small spot first to make sure it is perfect  for your happiness

Dy-Mark 1L Clear TreadRite 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dy-mark-1l-clear-treadrite_p1560347

I/N: 1560347

$42.60

iI was thinking about that Dy-Mark as well... Do you think I can return it if it's not compatible? thanks

Hi @archerwinmakes 

I know  what you are saying I understand your point of view,  and not against your  idea. 

If I was bunnings  i would not be keen on that idea,  but

Bunnings team on here soon as  possible might be able to best advise that situation,

Hello @archerwinmakes 

I would love to recommend Dy-Mark 1L Clear TreadRite unfortunately, it does not mention that it can be used for timber surfaces that have been stained. It might work but I can't guarantee how long it will stay stable on the surface of the decking panel. It does mention that it can be used for interior and exterior untreated timber, concrete, primed metal, brick clay pavers and pebble finish surfaces but no mention of stained decking panels.

There are other anti-slip products such as Croc Grip Spray On Clear Anti-Slip Coating and Intergrain 1L Slip Resistant Ultrafloor. The main issue of course is compatibility, it doesn't say if it can be mixed with the Cabots coating. 

The only other product I can suggest is Croc Grip 5m x 48mm Clear Anti-Slip Tape. I'll give Cabot's a call and see if they have any recommendations regarding your situation. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you. In the meantime, I suggest using a Sabco Gen 2 Rinse N Wring Complete Flat Mop Set to keep the surface clean and dry.

Eric

Hello @archerwinmakes 

Thank you for your patience. After speaking to Cabot's customer service, their technical support team has requested that you contact them through their help line 1800 011 006. Please look for Brandon at wood care technical help. They would also like to request for a few more photos of the deck and a photo of the can you have in your possession.

In the interest of health and safety, I suggest placing a few nonslip welcome mats with rubber backing to prevent slipping on the decking panel.    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

archerwinmakes
Having an Impact

Thanks Eric! Will call him.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects