Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a clothesline into brick?

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

How to mount a clothesline into brick?

Hello I recently have had a man attempt to mount my fold down clotheline to new build brick house standard austral bricks using ramset ankerscrews 8mm (that i supplied) and it failed. I changed my clothesline and the bracket will take 6mm Max. I'm not sure if there is a way to utilise the exsisting holes from the 8mm ramset ankerscrew fail or if new holes will be needed and if so attempt to use 6mm ankerscrews - will be strong enough and why did fail first time.  

received_3902876036608804.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ramset ankerscrew 8mm fail into brick

Hi @Bell_1986 

If we were to compare the fittings the Chemset Anchor would win hands down and last longer than the plastic plugs if installed correctly. Personally, for myself I would go for the stronger long-term anchor. I would rather only do it once, rather than have an ongoing repair job every time the plugs fail. But of course, you'll need to take into consideration the extra drilling and the warranty.

There may be other circumstances you'll need to take into account that only you will be aware of. But have a good think about it, whatever decision you make our community members will be more than happy to give you advice and information.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Bell_1986 , the alternative way is to install two square upright poles cemented into the ground, then you can mount the clothesline to the posts

edit

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hills-dune-folding-frame-post-kit_p0170061

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to mount a clothesline into brick?

Good Morning @Bell_1986 

Wow to those anchor screws failing. I have used them a few times and havnt had an issue (Tho I did not drill the original holes deep enough or remove the concrete dust the first time lol so I had issues) Its always a pain when things dont go as expected. Also I would like to say welcome to the community :smile: Its a great place for ideas and how to solve problems.

Do you know the size of the holes that were drilled originally? (I am asking just to see if its worth using the same type of screw again) The only way I can see those screws failing would be the hole being too big to start with so the thread dosnt grip properly.

If you dont want more holes in your wall you could potentially use the existing holes to mount some timber battons and screw the new clothesline to the battens, Tho that depends on the width being the same as the existing holes.

I have used these guys before sleeve anchors and they work well. If I had to choose between the two types Id go the wall ankerscrew tho. 

One last question, can you tell us how it failed? As in do the bolts pull out of the wall/are loose type deal?

Dave

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Hello everyone.... I got the job done using the ramset ultra fix, multi sieves and rods.... 

Thank you 😊 

20231015_072945.jpg

  

20231015_072940.jpg

20231015_113054.jpg

20231015_113057.jpg

It's great to hear that you resolved the issue @Bell_1986

Many thanks for updating us on your solution as I trust anyone with a similar issue will find this information useful.

Well done.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Bell_1986 

Wooohooo! Party in the laundry tonight :smile: Somehow the ability to hang up the washing always gives me a sigh of relief.

If you have time I and some spare washers I would put a washer under those nuts that secure the clothesline to the wall. They will hold the way they are but a washer will distrubuite the weight eveningly especialluy on blanket washing day.

Nice work :smile:

Dave

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

I've placed plastic ones , I will swap out for galvanised one day soon! 😃  Clothesline goals!!!! Whoohoo

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Bell_1986 

hahahaha :smile: Love it! I had a similar clothesline on poles that have broken. I have Grand designs for a replacement clothesline made from a timberframe :surprised: Strange how we get excited about clotheslines :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Bell_1986 

Thank you so much for the update! It's good to see that the anchor studs fit into the mounting holes of the clothesline. I totally agree @Dave-1 it isn't every day that you celebrate a successful clothesline mounting. But this one is going into my bookmarks as it is a perfect example of mounting a clothesline with a Chemset system. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects