Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a clothlesline with anchors too short?

MattJ0000
Just Starting Out

How to mount a clothlesline with anchors too short?

Hi, I've used Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus with a Ramset sieve to mount a clothesline. Unfortunately the M8 110mm anchor studs for one of the sides was put too deep, and there's no thread to screw the nut into so the clothesline bracket can be secured. Is there anything that I can do to salvage this and still be able to securely mount the clothesline? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

20240113_174946.jpg

20240113_181122.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Chemical Anchors Too Short

Hi @MattJ0000 

Well  there is a M8 screw  rivit  A rivnut as its called.

The  way i see it the rivnut  inserted into the bracket will screw onto short  thread and the flange will tighten on to the bracket.  Lockit as tight as  possible with pliers  then tighten the bottom  mounting nut and they will work pulling  the bracket tight.

click on the link to see riv nut

$10.50

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MattJ0000. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a clothesline.

This looks to be a situation where it would be best to have another go. I can't think of any way to extend those threads or get a nut on there. It's not a bad idea from @Jewelleryrescue, but I'm unsure how you'd tighten a Rivnut sufficiently onto the end of the thread and given that clotheslines put a fair amount of weight on the fixings, I think it's best to stick with the recommended installation method.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc  @MattJ0000 

Tips  I see to tighten a  riv nut  I know its  not ideal. and  my idea still might not work as rivnut body to wide.  (Redrill mount?)

The  rivnut might be able to be grabbed by a  pair of locking pliers, and tightened to a moderate level. This will push the  mount close to the wall at least a single bolt tighten first  when you tighten a second mounting  bolt it trys to lift the first thus making the first bolt tighter  at least sufficent  enough to hold a clothes line. The weight on the fixings will additional put pressure on the bolts not letting them un do in a hurry. Combined with a spring or star washer.    As its being in my experiance.

Other wise  redrill new wall holes ?  Trying to get that anchor out is a nightmare best to cut it off  flush. 

A tricky  one.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects