Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount bracket for awning blinds on window infill?

henrywr
Growing in Experience

How to mount bracket for awning blinds on window infill?

Hi Bunnings community, I'm looking to put up an outdoor fixed arm awning to shade my window. As per the instruction, blinds longer then 210cm needs a center bracket.

The problem is that I have brick veneer wall, but the window infill is fibre cement ( instead of a lintel and a course of bricks). Mounting the center bracket on the FC infill will mean  it won't be in the same plane as the end brackets which will be on the brick wall.

I'm guessing I'll have to pack it somehow so the center bracket becomes on the same plane but a bit stumped on what to do.

This is the blind I'm trying to install https://smarthp.com.au/product/everest-fixed-arm-poly-canvas-awning/

1000019012.jpg

1000019013.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mount bracket for awning blinds on window infill?

It sounds like you are on the right track, @henrywr.

Can you locate any timberwork through the position of fixings in the FC that would suggest there's solid material behind it? It would be best to install a length of timber of a suitable thickness directly into the structure behind the FC.

What's the depth difference between the face of the bricks and the FC?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
henrywr
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc , the depth difference is between 92 - 97mm (left side is ~92mm while right side is ~97mm). Given the variation in depth, I'm thinking maybe I can get a timber that's 90mm thick and then use plastic window packers as shims.

Any suggestion on the appropriate timber product to use? Should I place the shim between the length of the timber and the FC or the shim between the timber and the centre bracket?

Or am I better off building a box frame out of H3 timber? The front of the frame will be covered by the blind housing box and then cover the bottom of the frame with FC sheet to tidy it up?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @henrywr 

I suggest looking at 90 x 45mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m, this is treated framing timber and is suitable for outdoor use. In regards to the plastic shims, I suppose either position would work. For aesthetics I would suggest putting it where it won't be seen.

Building a box frame is also possible, but it would look big and add to the weight of the awning that's going to be anchored to the fibre cement. Unless of course you are planning to anchor it to your outside wall.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects