Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to oil a new deck?

DIYImpressions
Having an Impact

How to oil a new deck?

Hi Team, I built my Mebau deck 24sqm last year. Now I am planning to oil it for the first time. I need to maintain the natural look. Please advise the steps to follow. Below are some pictures. The deck is facing maximum sunlight. Thank you

IMG_2374.jpeg

IMG_2375.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to oil a new deck?

Hi @DIYImpressions,

Due to the deck being unsealed for a significant amount of time, it's looking a bit mottled, and there is some staining. I'd recommend you give the deck a good scrub down with Cabot's New Timber Prep and a stiff bristle broom and then allow it to dry. Using the preparation product will even out the surfaces and hopefully reduce that staining.

Next, you apply a Merbau-tinted decking oil as per directions on the can. 

Now, I'd like to question what you're referring to as maintaining the "natural look". Currently, your Merbau decking has lost most of its colouring and looks dry and un-nourished. If this is the natural look you are referring to, then a decking oil will change its appearance. It will go darker and add colour back to it. If you have a look at this guide on How to build a deck you'll see in the last steps the application of an oil and the results. You can choose to use a natural decking oil that won't add a Merbau colourant. This would be a more "natural" look, but it will still nourish the timber. Nourished timber is always darker in tone than dry timber. If you apply some water to the deck, that will be a similar look to adding a natural decking oil.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide on How to oil your deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

I am referring to its natural look when it was first installed. Here are the pics. 

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/Low-level-Merbau-deck-over-concrete/ta-p/9...

You have suggested using Cabots New Timbre Prep. Then what's the purpose of Cabots Deck Clean? And for how long should I let it dry?

Next, I am told that Intergrain is the best. If so, what's the difference between Ultradeck and Nature's timber oil? 

Thanks,

Hi @DIYImpressions,

That natural look you are referring to is raw unsealed timber. Typically we seal timber with oil to prevent staining and early decay. Any oil you add will darken the timber and change its appearance, and it will not look natural or raw anymore. 

The difference between Cabot's Deck Clean and Cabot's New Timber Prep is that deck clean is for removing dirt, grime and contaminants from an oiled deck before you re-coat it with oil. The new timber prep is for stripping tannins and marks from raw timber. You have water staining marks on your deck, and the deck clean might not be enough to remove them. If the marks are not removed or minimised, the deck will appear mottled after you coat it with oil. 

A correction to what I mentioned above, I've just now read that the New Timber Prep is to be followed by Deck Clean. You'll need to use both products. Drying times will vary depending on the weather and your location. The deck needs to be fully dry before the application of your oil. To check, in a sunny location, you can tape a square section of a plastic bag onto a decking board so it is sealed on all sides. After an hour, if there is moisture trapped under the bag the deck is still wet and requires further drying.

The difference between Intergrains Ultradeck and their Nature's Timber Oil, is that the Ultradeck is an oil-based product, and the Nature's Timber Oil is water-based. Both can be used on your deck. The water-based Ultra-deck will give you a more raw and natural look than the Nature's Timber Oil. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

If i am choosing Intergrain product, then do I have to go with UltraPrep Oil remover and Ultraprep Clean? 

also as per product description Ultradeck oil is a water based oil. Can you confirm that please? and any reference pictures of water based coating vs oil based coating?

regards

Hello @DIYImpressions 

If you are referring to the Intergrain 4L Natural UltraDeck Timber Decking Oil, it is a water-based decking oil. One easy way to tell is to look at the left bottom corner of the can, you'll see the clean-up tag which is either water or turpentine.

In regards to the Intergrain UltraPrep Tannin & Oil Remover and the Intergrain UltraPrep Timber Cleaner. It would be prudent to use like for like as the UltraPrep cleaners have been tested with the Intergrain Decking Oil. 

Here is a link to the Intergrain Brochure: Intergrain (it has colour samples on show)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you @EricL . Do i have to take out the lights as well for the application or its safe to go over it? 

Hi @DIYImpressions 

I suggest covering the lights with Masking Tape so that you won't have to disassemble the lights. Make sure that the tape is secure so that when you go over it with the brush it will not rip off.

Once you're finished with your staining, carefully remove the masking tape so as not to accidentally pullout your lights.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks @EricL 

i am performing this activity on long weekend. So day one I will only do tannin removal and prep clean. Next day, I’ll air blow the deck to get rid of any dust and start with 1st oil coat and then let it dry the whole day followed by 2nd coat next day. Is that alright as I have limited sun window. 

Hi @DIYImpressions 

My only tip is to keep an eye on the temperature before you apply the 1st coat. If it is too cold, I would hold off until it gets a little bit warmer. Also please remember that excess moisture in the atmosphere can also have an adverse effect on decking paint. Aside from that your plan should work nicely.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects