Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint PVC downpipes?

sachinriz
Finding My Feet

How to paint PVC downpipes?

Hi,

I'm looking to paint my PVC downpipes. Need suggestions

1. paint to use - Water based or weather shield ?

2. Do i need to sand, apply undercoat before finish coat?

3. tips to avoid paint touching the bricks

Thanks

Riz

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to paint PVC downpipes?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @sachinriz! We're delighted to have you join us and hope you'll find the site a handy resource for useful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas.

Thanks for your questions on painting PVC downpipes. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to answer them when he's back online later today.

In the meantime, check out this related guide: How to paint like a professional. Also tagging the guide's author and experienced Bunnings Workshop member @Peggers to see if he has any advice for you.

Good luck for your project. We look forward to seeing it when it's completed.

Akanksha  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sachinriz 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your downpipes. The steps you outlined are correct, the PVC surface must be sanded down to remove the glossy surface of the pipe. A primer must be used to provide a solid base for the topcoat. In order to prevent paint from accidentally going to your brick wall, I suggest using cardboard behind the pipe as you travel along painting the pipe. 

I propose using 240grit sandpaper to rough up the surface of the pipe, make sure to sand as much of the surface as possible. The next step is to wash the pipe with sugar soap to remove all the oil and grease that might be on the pipe. I suggest using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White as it is formulated to go on to difficult to paint surfaces. I recommend having a look at Dulux Weathershield as a topcoat for your downpipe. Allow each coat to cure properly before painting the next one on.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask while painting your downpipe.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi, when you say to sand the pvc pipe, how much sanding are you talking about? What should the surface feel like. Should it just be mildly scratched on the surface? My new pvc doesn't seem glossy, it looks matt and smooth to the touch. My pipes are just plain white and not painted.

Thanks, Tony.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TonyM1 

It's that smooth surface that needs to be slightly scratched up. The paint has to have something to bind onto, now it might seem that the PVC surface is good enough, but because it has been machine pressed it has a very uniform flat surface. In essence even mildly scratching the surface with sandpaper will give the paint something to hold onto.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you, Eric.

Tony.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects