Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a Colorbond fence?

Oshah
Finding My Feet

How to paint a Colorbond fence?

Hi Team,

What would be the best paint for painting colourbond fence in Basalt ( currently in green) and what paint sprayer (budget) will do the job? 

I am thing of Dulux Weathersheild and Wagner w100. Thanks. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint a Colorbond fence?

Hello @Oshah 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your Colorbond fence.

I suggest assessing the condition of the surface of the Colorbond fence before beginning. If the surface has a powdery texture it will need to be washed and cleaned with a stiff bristle broom and soapy water.   

After that first wash grab a Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pad and thoroughly scrub the entire surface. Rinse the area with fresh water and allow it to dry. Once it has dried, test the surface by running your finger across it to check for any remaining powdery residue. 

Repeat this procedure until there is no longer any powder residue on your fingers. Perform a final wash using sugar soap, followed by rinsing with clean water and allowing the surface to dry.

I suggest using the White Knight Rust Guard painting system instead of the Dulux paint. I recommend using the White Knight Rust Guard Grey Quick Dry True Bite Primer Paint as your primer then have your topcoat tinted to your preferred colour.

The Wagner W100 Wood And Metal Paint Sprayer is a good spray gun that's capable of handling both water-based and oil-based paints. My number one tip is to make sure to clean the gun when you've finished using it for the day to prevent the nozzle from jamming.  

I also recommend having a look at this discussion - How to spray paint an old Colorbond shed? by @Smithrj.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects