Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a decorative breeze block wall?

lyndal1
Getting Established

How to paint a decorative breeze block wall?

I'm just taking posession of a newly built home and I'm very disappointed in what should have been a stunny breeze block wall. I ask for white and advised the builder i wanted it painted yet he kept insisting it was white enough. The painter has said it's too difficult to paint but I've seen many painted before and there must be a way. I was hoping to takle this over Christmas and would love some advice on what type of paint, primer and application would be best. 

20221207_173519.jpg

Screenshot_20221205_212855_Gallery.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to paint a decorative breeze block wall?

Hi @lyndal1 

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're delighted to have you join us and hope you'll find Workshop a great place for inspiring D.I.Y. ideas and useful advice.

I'm sorry to hear about the painting issues in your new house. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL would be happy to assist you when he's back on the site later today. In the meantime, also tagging @sandy_d to see if she has any thoughts about your query. You might also want to check out this related discussion in case it helps: How to paint Besser Blocks?

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Good morning @lyndal1 

I and sorry to hear that it hasn’t turned out how you planned. My only thoughts on why they wouldn’t paint it, is that it would be time consuming with the intricate gaps from the blocks. 

A good all in one paint like weathershield would work. Perhaps using a spray gun may make it easier for you to get into the gaps, if you don’t have one, a good old fashion paint brush or a good quality spray paint. 

As the blocks are corse, you will need to be aware that the paint brushes will get damaged. So I suggest not to use an expensive brush. 

I wish you the best of luck and please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Sandy 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lyndal1

Thank you for sharing your question about your decorative breeze block wall. In regards to repainting it, I totally agree with @sandy_d's recommendation. I would also suggest using the Dulux 4L Vivid White Low Sheen Weathershield Exterior Paint. Using a paint spray gun will allow you to paint into the corners of the breeze blocks, however, you'll still need to use a regular brush to finish off the areas that the spray can't reach.

Please remember to clean the breeze block wall with water and detergent using a scrub broom. This will remove the dust, dirt, grease and oil that might be present on the surface of the wall. Once the wall is totally dry you can begin spray painting the wall.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lyndal1
Getting Established

Thanks you @eric @sandy_d  & @Akanksha you've confirmed my thoughts that whilst an intricate job it's not something that cannot be done. I might look at getting a spray gun and getting stuck into this soon. 

I appreciate your help.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects