Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a fence?

Tracylee
Getting Established

How to paint a fence?

Hi, I am trying to finish off painting my fence.  I no longer have me helper who used the spray gun for the outside & I am not confident using it.  What is the best paint brush or roller to use with water based.  My first attempt I watered down the paint too much.

1000009312.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fence Painting

Hi @Tracylee,

Do you still have the spray gun? If so, here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to spray paint a fence. Sprayguns take a bit to get used to, but they are the most effective way to paint a fence.

If you do want to paint with a roller or brush, I'd suggest a mini-roller for painting in between the slats on their edges and then a larger roller for their front faces. For brushes, you could go with this convenient fence brush kit.

Typically, you'd only water down a paint when spraying it through a gun. If you're applying with a brush or roller then you'd use it as is out of the can.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tracylee
Getting Established

Thank you, I do have the Ozito spray gun which seems to spit out alot of paint even chunks at times which we found that you have to keep cleaning the nozzles, I will give it another try, what type of rollers do you recommend, I have only found the foam one which breaks down

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tracylee,

The trick is to keep that nozzle clean and wipe off any paint on it before taking a break as it will dry and spit chunks the next time you use it. If there is dried paint in the nozzle at the moment, it might be worth removing the nozzle, letting it sit in warm water and giving it a good clean with an old toothbrush.

If you tap or click on the blue links I posted above, they'll take you to the rollers I recommend.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects