Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint bricks?

chay9352
Getting Established

How to paint bricks?

2758C0D1-7EC9-4EC7-8AD4-4614DB6CA1CE.jpeg

I’m after advice on painting our retainer wall bricks, my vision is to paint the fence white and follow down the with same colour over the bricks? Any advice on prepping and the type of paint needed? I’ve already high pressured the bricks with the gerni and now looking at ideas for the bricks. Paint/Render/screen? Leaning towards painting. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint bricks?

Hi @chay9352,

You can certainly paint the block wall with a self-priming exterior paint like Dulux Weathershield. No additional preparation is required. However, block walls that have soil buildup on the other side of them are notorious for blowing the paint off through hydrostatic pressure. The water in the soil tries to migrate through the wall, and your paint seals the outside of the wall. This pressure causes the paint to delaminate and flake off. To ensure you give the paint the best chance, I'd recommend first painting the wall with Crommelin's Aquablock

Depending on the amount of water that gets retained behind the wall, there's always a chance that your painted coating will fail. Though, if it does, you could then try other options like screening or cladding the wall with fibre-cement sheeting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitch!!

We will give the painting a go with your advice. If that fails we will go with the cladding of the wall. May I ask… cladding of the wall, does it require a space between the brick or it can be direct to the brick? 
send photos once completed :smile: 

fire pit to follow. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Typically you'd install timber batons on the wall and then fix your sheeting to them @chay9352. However, you might be able to glue the cladding directly to the blocks if the wall is reasonably straight.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects