Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint concrete blocks?

mike1360
Building a Reputation

How to paint concrete blocks?

I'm in the process to repaint my exterior, does anyone know how to get rid of ivy roots on the blocks, I tried water blasting, but it didn't come off. Apart from this, can you guys suggest a tutorial or guide on painting concrete block

IMG_7343.JPG

IMG_7344.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Steps of painting concrete blocks

Hello @mike1360

Thanks for sharing your question about painting concrete blocks. One of the issues with ivy roots is that they really get into the substrate of anything they grow on. You'll need to use a nylon bristle brush in combination with a plastic scraper. I'm afraid It will be necessary for you to mechanically remove the roots from your wall. 

Once you've removed the roots, I suggest using 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate and scrubbing the wall with an Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush. Give it another blast with your pressure washer and when the wall is totally dry, I suggest using exterior paint to paint your wall. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a room ( the techniques used are applicable when painting outside )

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to remove vine remnants on house? by @Mela18

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mike1360
Building a Reputation

Thank you Eric🙏

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @mike1360, and please reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

mike1360
Building a Reputation

bought my supplies from Bunnings today. I think I'll be able to finish the job in December:)

mike1360
Building a Reputation

I bought Dulux 10L Vivid White semi-gloss Weathershield Exterior Paint, I'm wondering how much a difference it is between the semi-gloss and gloss finish. Is the gloss finish better than the semi-gloss finish when it comes to resisting mould, dirt and stains?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mike1360

Both finishes provide the same amount of protection when it comes to mould, dirt and stains. However, with a gloss finish, dirt is more noticeable as the glossy finish on the surface begins to fade. The semi-gloss finish does not provide as much sheen and maintains its neutral finish much longer. I propose going with the semi-gloss finish for easier maintenance.

But when the gloss finish is used on the inside of the house, especially in the bathroom and kitchen it makes cleaning the walls that much easier.

If you have any more questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

mike1360
Building a Reputation

Thank you so much🙏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects