Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint exterior rendered fence?

jhb
Growing in Experience

How to paint exterior rendered fence?

Untitled.png

CF4ADC6D-C161-468A-AB70-B923D0F9F74C.jpeg

CF441D40-7859-4F61-BC4F-40F2E37DEE71.jpeg

Hi

i would like some advice please to embark on my next project to paint my rendered fence a dark grey colour like Dulux Monument. 

Please see picture attached. Can I do this? I note the wall is porous and just a rendered surface finish. 

if so what products should I use and can you recommend a link to step by step guide or share brief steps and products here? Can I paint directly on?

I’ve attached the finished look I’m after. 

thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint exterior rendered fence?

Hello @jhb 

Thanks for sharing your question about how to paint an exterior rendered fence. 

To paint a rendered finished fence, I suggest assembling the necessary materials such as exterior paint, brushes, rollers, sandpaper, painter's tape, and safety gear. I recommend using Dulux 10L Exterior Paint Render Refresh Weathershield. It is Ideal for rendered surfaces and masonry. It also helps resist mould, dirt and stains.

The first step is to prepare the fence surface: thoroughly clean it by scrubbing away dirt, debris, and any mildew or mould with soapy water or you can use 30 Seconds 5L Outdoor Cleaner Concentrate. Simply spray it on the surface, scrub it with your scrubbing brush and rinse it off. Make sure to let it dry completely. If the existing surface has any damage, I suggest using Earl's 1kg Concremate Expanding Cement to patch any holes or cracks in the surface.

To protect the surrounding areas, cover the ground and adjacent surfaces with drop cloths or plastic sheets to prevent paint splatter. Once ready, stir the paint and begin by cutting in around edges and corners with a brush, then use a roller or brush to apply paint evenly to larger, flat sections. Work in manageable sections, ensuring an overlap of strokes for consistent coverage.

A second and third coat may be needed, depending on the paint's instructions, to achieve a more durable and vibrant finish. Allow each coat to dry completely. Once you've finished painting, remove the protective coverings and clean your tools according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Regularly inspect the fence for wear or damage, addressing any chipped or faded areas to maintain its appearance and protection.

Here are some handy step-by step guides: 

How To Paint An Exterior Wall (the techniques used are applicable to your rendered wall)

How to paint your house’s exterior with a spray gun

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jhb
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric I’ll follow that 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @jhb, and please reach out again if you need further assistance.

We can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

jhb
Growing in Experience

C7E2F4F0-1A96-4D47-887A-D3985BD9C5E5.jpeg

 hi Mitchell and Eric - here’s the finished result. We went with Dulux  ‘Domino’ colour opposed to Monument. Did three coats as the cream render underneath came through on some rough patches.

thanks for the help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jhb 

Thank you so much for posting that update. That paint revamp of your fence looks awesome! Have you thought about putting in some fence lights or perhaps some festoon lights to give your fence ambiance at night?

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects