Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint my outdoor timber deck area?

nishtha
Growing in Experience

How to paint my outdoor timber deck area?

We have a ton of outdoor timber that needs some attention.

There is deck, deck railing, wooden steps, gates that need to be painted.

Planning to paint all the surfaces in a combination of dark brown, white and charcoal black.

Is there an undercoat that's recommended?

Looking for something that is stain blocking and mould resistant.

Also does is matter if the undercoat is white. Does it affect if the top coat is of a different colour.

Keen to hear your responses!

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to paint my outdoor timber deck area?

Hello @nishtha,

In order to give our members a better idea of what you'll be painting, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your deck area, including the steps and the gates? That will enable them to provide more tailored advice suited to your needs.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online later today and happy to provide some advice on how to paint your outdoor area. Let me also tag our helpful members @marliemakesit@DIY4Knuckleheds@funksoulbro1 and @NickiM to see if they have any thoughts.

In the meantime, I recommend having a look at experienced renovator @Adam_W's guide How to restore a deck as well as our Best Advice article How do you revive a deck? in case they help. 

Keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see how you manage to transform your outdoor area.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @nishtha,

I agree with @Akanksha that it would be helpful to see some photos so we can assess the condition of your deck.

I would also like to question whether you indeed want to paint your deck? Typically a deck is protected with an oil or stain that extends the life of the deck but still ensures you can see the beautiful timber. Do you know what is currently on your deck?

Thanks,

Jason

nishtha
Growing in Experience

20231207_105410.jpg

Stairs.. all cleaned and filled and sanded.

20231207_105535.jpg

Little decking strip with rails and gate that was painted by previous owners.. 

I know regarding the gate I need to strip the old paint.. not worried about it right now. Want to do the decking strip and rail that's on the right now

20231207_105420.jpg

As you can see its all very weathered.. it wasn't  looked after properly in the past.

We want to paint the rails a combination of white and charcoal grey to match the theme of the house.

marliemakesit
Making a Splash

Hi @nishtha 

We painted our deck using Cabot's Deck & Exterior Paint. It is self-priming so as long as the deck is sanded smooth and clean you can apply it straight on. We're about 1 year in and have had no issues (besides a few marks from pot plants etc. which is inevitable).

Deck & Exterior Timber Paint | Cabot's (cabots.com.au)

Hi.. thanks for the response.

This is what I thought I could use but turns out it doesn't have stain blocking and most of this timber has been stained in the past.

nishtha
Growing in Experience

Hi @Jason .. any thoughts?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nishtha 

It's important that all the old stain and sealers be sanded off to prevent staining. But if you are going to paint the rails in solid colours, I suggest using Zinsser 3.78L Bulls Eye Primer Undercoat Sealer And Stain Blocker. It seals stains, graffiti and tannin bleed. It can be used for interior or exterior applications. It's formulated to prevent tannin and stain bleed which often happens when using ordinary primer on stained timber. 

If you are worried about the primer being too bright you can have it tinted to a grey colour.

In regards to the topcoat, I suggest having a look at Dulux Weathersheild or Taubmans Sunproof. Both of these brands have all the things you are looking for. It is self-priming has UV protection and helps resist mould, dirt and stains. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

nishtha
Growing in Experience

Thanks!

Couple more things.

Firstly I went in store and was recommended this exact brand of undercoat so have pot of it .. but it's white hence my question if it's going to impact the colour of the top coat?

Secondly am struggling to use it unfortunately.. it's a weird consistency. 

I had a left over pot of British paints undercoat.. water based prep 4in1 interior exterior. It went in more smoothly on the wood and covered the roughness of the wood.

My question is .. will I be ok to use the British paints one?.or its not durable one and won't last or missing some other key functionality?

Looking forward to hearing from you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nishtha 

Just to be clear that the paint I suggested is for the rails only and not your decking floor. The Zinsser 3.78L Bulls Eye Primer Undercoat Sealer And Stain Blocker is a bit thicker than your regular primer and that is because of the stain blocker element in it. It will take some time applying it but once it's on it will provide a stable surface for the topcoat.

In regards to your deck and stairs it's best to use decking paint such as Cabot's 4L Deep Base Timbercolour Deck And Exterior Paint or your preferred decking stain or sealer. 

In regards to your questions, the British Paints White 4 In 1 Prep Water Based Primer Sealer Undercoat - 4L has a stain blocking feature as well. It is rated for exterior use so you can use it on your rails, but not the decking floor or steps.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects