Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint over pre-oiled Merbau decking boards?

Brian101
Getting Established

How to paint over pre-oiled Merbau decking boards?

Hi, I have pre-oiled merbau boards just installed as slats on a vertical screening wall. I would like to paint them the same colour as my house (barrister white). What is the best process for me to follow? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint over pre-oiled merbau decking boards

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Brian101. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a deck.

With Merbau, it's important to strip all tannins and oils out of it before painting. If this process is not completed sufficiently, the timber colour will bleed through your paint, and this is especially prevalent with lighter colours. I'd recommend you use Cabot's New Timber Prep and do several applications of it. This product will assist in removing tannins and oils, but you must cover any hard surface beneath the screening to avoid stains. The runoff will stain hard surfaces and is not easy or, in some cases, possible to remove. Once the timber is finished expelling the red tannins, determined by running water over it and no red colourant leeching, you must wait for it to dry out completely before using an oil-based undercoat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Michell - I will try that

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @Brian101, and please reach out again if you get stuck.

Mitchell

Hi Michell,

I have applied several application so the Cabots new timber prep and washed multiple times. There is still a very slight colour coming out - noticeable after the rain we are having. Does it need to be 100% clear before applying the paint undercoat? 

I thought also of applying a few coats of the undercoat to ensure blocking.

Thanks,

Brian

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It doesn't need to be 100% clear, but you must try to get out as much as possible @Brian101. I'd be inclined to continue the process by flushing it with water twice daily until it runs clear. Applying a couple of coats of the undercoat will certainly block just about all the residual tannins and colouring; it's just best to start with timber that isn't actively leeching colour.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects