Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent water seepage around bottom of rainwater tank?

DonaldT
Getting Established

How to prevent water seepage around bottom of rainwater tank?

hi,

I had recently refilled the rainwater tank and noticed seepage around the bottom of the tank. I'm considering sealing the surroundings with bitumen rubber to stop the seepage. Any advice and comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

20240106_071307_resized.jpg20240106_071317_resized.jpgGripset Betta Bitumen Rubber.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water seepage around bottom of rain water tank

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DonaldT. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a water tank.

Products like the one you've pictured are designed to be painted over surfaces to stop water from penetrating them. So, if you are worried about the water seeping into the concrete then you could paint the surrounding area. 

Just to clarify though, products like these are not designed to stop water from escaping from a vessel. It's called hydrostatic pressure, and there are not many products for non-masonry applications that you could paint on the tank to stop the leak. If you can locate the source of the leak, then T-Rex 48mm x 1.5m Strong Waterproofing Tape could provide a temporary repair until you can organise a tradesperson to perform a plastic weld on the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects